6 Replies - 2568 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP vs. Javascript vs. Java/JSP?

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

Hello all!

I need to develop a Web application that will read an Internet link, a PDF, a Word or a PPT file, then it will display the information in a kind of viewer (just the text, not the images) where the user will be able to highlight phrases. Once the user had finish to highlight, he will click a "continue" button that will send him to another screen that will show the phrases that he highlighted allowing him to edit them and to associate each one of them with a picture (the pictures will be taken from the original file and will be display in the bottom) using a list (since the pictures will be numbered). He will then click a "save" button and the information will go to a database.

I had never developed a Web application so I am a little confused about what technology to use. I had been reading some information about PHP, Javascript and Java/JSP but I am not able to make up my mind yet about what technology will suit better my needs.

Can you please give me any advice?

Thank you very much!
DMT

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP vs. Javascript vs. Java/JSP?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP vs. Javascript vs. Java/JSP?

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:25 AM

Hey.

You will need a server-side language, like PHP, .NET or Java (the most popular choices), to read the link and parse the documents into something you can display to the user. Seeing as you are talking about using proprietary Microsoft formats, your best bet would probably be Microsoft's own server-side language, ASP.NET. (Microsoft don't play well with others :))

If you want the user to be able to interact with the page in any real way, you will need to use Javascript for client-side coding. It will allow you to build your "Viewer" so the user can highlight stuff. I suppose you could also use Flash, Silverlight or Java applets for this, but that's best avoided when possible. Javascript should be more than capable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

Check out HTML5 as well. Its a new thing.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 06 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

@darek9576 - Perhaps I am missing something. Why is Silverlight not supported anymore? The most recent preview release is only 35 days old... Windows Phone 7 uses Silverlight for app creation...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

I'm guessing some crucial part of darek9576's post was edited out?

And, by the way, be careful of which parts of HTML5 you are using. The standard is still in the working draft stage, and only parts of it are stable enough to be counted on at this point. Give it a year or two before you start depending on it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Yeah. Sorry for that. I have posted its not supported, but one minute ater my post i found out it IS supported. Thats why the edit. Soz.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 06 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Actually, Javascript IS serverside now, but it doesn't run on Apache. You have to have Node.JS running to pull that which is WAY above your head. I would recommend PHP for being fast and easy to get off the ground with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1