Does this generation lack creativity?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 4575 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

Poll: Does this generation lack creativity? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the current 20-30's lack the creativity of their parent's generation?

1. Yes (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. No (19 votes [76.00%])

Percentage of vote: 76.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Does this generation lack creativity?

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

I'm 45 years old. I grew up watching Charlie's Angels, Battlestar Galactica, The A Team, Knight Rider and the Bionic Woman.

Guess what... I'm still watching them because they have all been redone in the last few years. Is it just me or does this generation lack any real creativity to make anything new? We all see it here with rookie coders just looking for ready-made code they can copy/paste into their products. If you watch vCoder et.al. it is always swamped with "Make a clone of xxx website".

Soon there will be another remake of "The Thing" in theaters. Yah I know the John Carpenter version is a remake: But at least going from 1950's black and white to color brought it into modern times where it would get some airtime. Not to mention it really did do new and creative things with the script/story. And the "Footloose" trailers look like a re-shoot without changing any dialog or even the VW bug. Now I read that Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in a new Perry Mason movie that might start a franchise of sequels (RDJ's third simultaneous franchise).

Is it just me, or do you think this generation of 20-30's lacks the creativity showed when the current 40-60's were in their youth?

Hasbro of course taking their franchises of Transformers, GI Joe to the big screen. They're even remaking 'Clue' as a movie. Battleship movie. "Real Steel" is just Rock'em-Sock'em-Robots.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Does this generation lack creativity?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Does this generation lack creativity?

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

I am not sure that I would say we lack the creativity as much as I would say that there are so many more things now than there were 20 years ago that it is difficult to come up with something new. I know I have had tons of ideas just to turn around and find it already out on the market somewhere. Every once in a while someone comes up with something truly revolutionary... it just takes time, and lots of other ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 06 October 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I am not sure that I would say we lack the creativity as much as I would say that there are so many more things now than there were 20 years ago ...

Its an interesting point. I've heard it made before. But I'm not sure if I agree with it. Every generation contends with the previous generation having already created all the good stuff. And I don't mean for just the last 20 years.

Gun technology improved and continues to improve. From flintlocks, to the Gattling Gun, to modern weapons. Video tech from movie film to digital. TV's from B&W CRT's, to color, to LCD, LED, 3d with glasses to 3d without. Even mining for gold has made improvements in how to extract more ore.

In so many fields of actual solid products there are continuing innovations. But (to me) it almost feels like easier access to intellectual property, immediate problem solving via Google, and so on has had an unexpected side affect of causing some pure intellect/creativity fields such as creating new ideas for software and entertainment to give up actual *thinking* and rely on redoing what someone else has already done.

As an example:
One generation invented Battlestar Galactica from scratch. The next just re-imagined it.
One generation invented the GUI based computer OS because they saw a way to improve upon the command line. This is actually a big jump in creativity. The next generation(s) cleaned it up and added to it through several revisions. Its cooler and faster, but the concepts of icons on a screen and windows with titles and open/close widgets remains essentially the same. Sure its evolution - but its not innovation.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

I say a lot of the Generation want instant gratification, and it a rare few that want and do put the time and effort in.

Eg "I want be famous." for what? (The u suX Factor, we have no Talent).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

i dunno, my guess is there were probably many shitty shows and re-hashes in previous generations, you just weren't watching them so you don't remember. just like how i don't watch charlies angels or what have you now. why support the bullshit?

and the new battlestar galactica was fantastic, they took a concept and then they did a bunch with it, i don't really have a problem with remakes if they do that to it.

not to mention, the landscape has changed, a lot of the great television is happening off network tv now. the wire, boardwalk empire, dexter, mad men, breaking bad, etc. not to mention comedies like louie and always sunny in philadelphia on fx.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:21 AM

To be far to this generation's creativity:
My generation may have created the internet as a system, but it was the next generation that has done amazing things with it that have revolutionized the way business is done.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

POPULAR

Since the dawn of time I think the previous generation has voiced concern about the current generation.

This previous generation could also be held responsible for the horribly shitty economic and political situation we find ourselves in. Lucky for you, i'm not a big enough ass to lump you in with the shitwits who are actually responsible for that situation. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't generalize me in the same way.

To be fair, you didn't invent the internet. Someone from your generation invented the internet. To say that they are representative of your generation entire (yourself included) is to ride on the shoulders of giants. You didn't do shit. You just said "oh wow, the Internet."
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Someone always has to take a civil conversation and turn it into a swearing/yelling/flaming festival.

I never said I invented anything. I wasn't making claims against anyone. I asked a question about generational trending and gave some points that lead me to that question. Other people seemed to take up the conversation with reason and tact in the way it was started. That's rather the point to starting a conversation in the Lounge: To exchange differing views, or share similar ones.

You touched on some good points:

View Postdorknexus, on 06 October 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Since the dawn of time I think the previous generation has voiced concern about the current generation.

This previous generation could also be held responsible for the horribly shitty economic and political situation we find ourselves in.

Its a shame your knee-jerk emotional, aggressive and demeaning attitude and delivery of those points pretty much ruined the point you were trying to make. As the person who started the thread, even I was far enough to "the next generation" to bring up pro points of creativity in today's youth.

Rather than countering the examples that had come to my mind with your own examples of creativity on the part of this generation; pointing out things that I had not considered etc. - your blind attack of the person instead of the subject did your side more harm than good.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 06 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

UPDATE: So much for this being a fun and interesting exchange of ideas and perspectives. It only takes one turd in the pool to spoil the party. I'll be unsubscribing from my own thread now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

I think even in modern days such as today, the majority of the inventiosn are coming from 30+ with the exception of a few (facebook) but then again you can say facebook was a rip off of myspace. So it is almost increasingly evident that the current generation lacks imagination.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

You are generalizing a bunch of people based on the proximity of their birth dates. Then you are extrapolating the success or failures of certain members of that group to be representative of the caliber of the group entire. I'm the asshole? Well you were polite in the process so that must mean something.

Also, I'm sorry that you were offended.

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 06 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

We're about the same age...

I believe it's more a lack of balls than anything else. Resurrecting prior hits is the safest bet in the world. Doing something new has the risk of loosing money.

Who the hell is going to see some of these things? Kids might see them, just because most entertainment is recycled drek and one isn't strikingly worse than the other. However, it's the people our age who are also to blame. "I remember Transformers, guess we'll have to see it..." Though, frankly, I don't know who'd bother after that.

Smurfs?!? Seriously? Oh, right, Avatar...

It's not just digging up the past; American entertainment risks nothing. They only spend money on proven product. It's embarrassing how many shows we steal whole cloth from over seas, and then make them suck. Anything new is from a best seller, or something that already has a following. Quality is irrelevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Please every generation has their hacks, and every generation has their geniuses.

Art is the art of stealing. Very rarely is art actually new, but instead an adaptation of previous forms.

I personally find this generation to be extremely creative. And we have one huge difference, and it's not our generation who made this advantage... actually it was the previous. But we have it, we have technology coming out the ass that allows our generation to create a constant flow of art and release internationally with the click of a button. Music, movies, paintings, literature, etc... you may not like a good deal of it, not your style, some of it just might be crap, but in total, it all took some degree of creativity.

Oh and remakes...

how many times has Lolita been remade? Or how about Shakespeare!? Or Grimm faery tales, or just about every part of human expression since the beginning of time. If I have to hear the 'King Arthur' story one more time... here's looking at that creative work of genius 'Star Wars'.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 06 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

View Postdorknexus, on 06 October 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

To be fair, you didn't invent the internet.

Posted Image
Who invented the intarwebz? Goddamn right...I invented the intarwebz and don't you forget it!

To add an additional "what if" to this: I think anytime you invent a new medium of expression you get those who will take its limits and stretch them or use the medium in an artistic manner. To be entirely fair, television isn't a new medium. Radio isn't a new medium. Movies are not a new medium. The internet, however, is a relatively new medium and it's changing and expanding it's capabilities all the time which means it prolly can be a source of new art for some time to come.

I also believe that because the other media are rather old, their reason for existing has modified from what they were originally to vehicles for profit. This means individuals no longer control the medium (like a television show or a movie studio) but a corporation does...and the corporation exists to turn a profit. What's profitable? Concepts that have already been introduced, tried and accepted...like BSG and Charlie's Angels. In all fairness, BSG as a concept wasn't all the original. Basically they're the story of the exodus of the Israelites except set in an immediately post Star Wars creative society. Now Star Wars...THAT was creative.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 06 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

http://cineleet.com/...y-far-far-away/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +