8 Replies - 2787 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Coding for an Ipad

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

I am a beginner when it comes to coding. I know how to make websites meaning that I know html, Java, etc. This is the extent to my current knowledge of coding.
My boss has given me a large task. He wants me to begin studying how to code for an Ipad. I have no idea where to start for this. If anyone has any advice on where to start this task I would be much obliged.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Coding for an Ipad

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Coding for an Ipad

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Well the first thing to do is decide if $1000+ is within your "study budget". If it is then go out an buy the cheapest mac you can. If it isn't, then go out and buy Adobe Flash (only around $600).

Basically you have to either make the application in Flash (and then compile to .app which requires you have an Apple Developer's license). You will need to know/ learn ActionScript 3.0.

Or use xCode (only available on macs) and compile an i* mobile project. From there you can use their simulator to try it out. I believe they have started charging for the developer's kit for iPhone and iPad though so I don't know how much that costs... You will also have to learn Objective-C.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Moved to the 'objective c' forum...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thank you so much. Purchasing a MAC is no problem they are willing to supply that. I have seen some flash tutorials I had no idea you could use that to make an Ipad app. Thank you again for the great advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Starting costs:
If not already available:
iPad: $499.99-$829.99
Mac: $599.99 (Mini) - $1499.99 (I wouldn't buy anything more than a 15" MBP)
iOS Developer enrollment: $99.99
Books: Free (Search Apple Developer in the iBooks store) or more if you want other books or hard copies.
But your largest expense will be time. If you only know Java you will be learning C before/while you learn Objective-C, xCode, platforms, programming practices (manual memory management/reference counting), hardware capabilities, design patterns, etc.
Not saying its impossible, just my experience thus far doing the same thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Id definitely check and see if you can get a work Mac (which would be pretty sweet)

but if you do some shoppping like at your local micro center, you might be able to pick up a macbook for 5-600 bucks.

I just bought one and granted I have to buy leopard and some memory, its actually a very high quality laptop for not that much more than other machines. I know it seems expensive, but it is actually nice,
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Apple doesn't allow Flash because of its poor performance and battery drain on mobile devices. That means that Flash would need to be converted and even then your performance would likely be sluggish compared to native apps.

I suggest a 15" MBP so you can take it with you. And spring for the SSD. Mine boots in under 16 seconds and anything that accesses the drive is fast. Well, anything except for MS Office.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

View PostNseiki102, on 07 October 2011 - 07:43 AM, said:

I am a beginner when it comes to coding. I know how to make websites meaning that I know html, Java, etc. This is the extent to my current knowledge of coding.
My boss has given me a large task. He wants me to begin studying how to code for an Ipad. I have no idea where to start for this. If anyone has any advice on where to start this task I would be much obliged.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

If you want some good references to learn iPad coding/programming then I would recommend "iPad Programming-A quick start guide for iPad developers" by Denial H. Steinberg and "Beginning iPad application Development" by Wei Meng Lee are good. I used to refer these two books while learning iPad app development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thank You all for the help and the books. I am going to purchase the books and begin learning. I should have a Mac in January so that I can begin making an app for my company. Thank You all again for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1