• +

21 Replies - 4509 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

.NET programmers in demand!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

POPULAR

Take heart people - .NET is a great job route to run through!

According to technical jobs website, Dice.com, companies in the US have posted more than 10,000 positions requesting .NET experience - a 25 percent increase compared to last year's .NET job count.

http://www.i-program...-in-demand.html

Heck my job's been trying to fill two spots for a while now. Then again I heard about the interviews and a majority of people were straight up lying on their resumes. (if you can't answer what version of the framework you last worked with or the last version of visual studios... you might have a problem).

I also know my lapsed "unsearchable" resume on DICE nets me about two-ish emails a week and three-ish phone calls every four weeks for random .NET jobs in not so great places.

How's it going else where in the country?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: .NET programmers in demand!

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: .NET programmers in demand!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

Just wanted to add to this. I put my resume up on Dice on Thursday night of last week(Oct. 6th). Friday morning, I checked and saw that 5 people had already viewed it(in about 8 hours).

On Friday, I received 3 phone calls and 2 emails about jobs. It's definitely a hot time for .Net developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

I would be happy, if when I finish my college something like that will be here in TZ :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thought I'd add another update...I've received 2 calls and 1 email today about jobs. So that's 5 calls and 3 emails about 8 different jobs in 2 business days.

If anybody is in or around the Charlotte, NC area, there are a TON of .Net developer jobs. Every job that I have been sent is from Charlotte(which is about 2 hours from where I live).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

@modi---

what does the version of framework have to do with your programming abilities? I don't know to many people that can tell you the version number of the frame owrk, mosty will just say sp2 or VS 200x or 10. Versions are over rated to say the least.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Knowing the version(s) are important because there are changes in each version and knowing that a certain line of code needs to be changed to work with the preferred version is important.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

isn't a good rule of thumb to always program in dumb standards? Meaning that you never program at the current version because people in general are slow to update?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

@DarenR: I can generally tell about what version someone is using (in the Java world) if I see things like AWT and Threading, no use of generics, etc, in that person's code. Knowing a version is important because it shows you are (or maybe aren't) up on modern technologies. I'm not saying the newest release is the best choice if it is brand new. However, on the same token, if someone is programming for a ten year old version of the platform, something is wrong there. It's more than programming abilities; it speaks to how well one might be able to integrate themselves into a team. And if it comes down to two comparable candidates, version could easily make a difference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

It also shows a general knowledge of framework itself. If you don't understand the basics, how can they possibly put any confidence in you being able to perform the duties that you will be given?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

That is interesting because I have never been asked what version I program in at job interviews. These interviews were not for small companies either, they were for large multi-million to billion dollar companies.

Example at work we use 3.5 sp1

at home i use 3.5 sp2

This post has been edited by DarenR: 10 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

Well it does matter with minor paradigm jumps say.. 1.1 vs 4.0. The first case was when my boss was just making conversation on some 4.0 topic he was reading about before the interview, the guy coming in couldn't give a number. Then my boss decided to toss this benign question out in a few more and caught about half not able to provide a number. It seems.. odd.

Anyone in the local area (say job wise or in the .NET Users Group Meeting) all start out with "What version of the framework are you using?". That provides a nice basis for what they may or may not have been exposed to. Like Tasks. Yummy Tasks. Or LINQ.

Now Visual Studios version is just to get a flavor for what IDE they are used to versus what we are running on. I have never had an interview where both of those were not the first lead off questions.

@"always program in dumb standards" - not so much when I can use ClickOnce for deployment and have the techsupport push and install on their PC before it goes out. The last few places I work at - any new PCs would get the latest .NEt framework installed... older ones would get an update notice after a while.

@Daren - yes.. so you can articulate you use the 3.5 version, right? What do you do with someone who literally can't name a version number?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

You'll still stuck at the level of forms in what ever from you use (as seen in you DIC threads).

The different version of the Windows OS come with different version by default.

Each newer version of the framework builds on the other and introduces a new area.

.net 2.0 Generics
.net 3.0 WPF, WCF
.net 3.5 LINQ
Best thing to have happen in .net since Generics.
.net 4.0 Parallel, MEF and Code Contracts
We also got keyword for marking Co & Contra variance
(.net 4.5) Asynchronous
Async and Awaitwhich does state machine transformation on your code, turning into Continuation Passing Style when it is compiled. I can't wait for this to officially released, it makes things so much simpler to write.

Then there the Silverlight version which don't allow blocking operations.

Have a look through some of each versions key features.

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 10 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

The version of development environment is very important, and any one who is really programming should know in which version he is now in, there he can know what is required and what cant be done here.
And if you see someone afraid to get to a new version, really he has problem with his programming skills(I have seen some of them-and surely they have some afraid because they know they are not good in that field).
@DarenR: I have never been in interview before(still student) but I was myself expecting that question if someone interviews you to be a programmer or developer of a company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

It's going to a be bit shitty to always program toward the lowest common denominator .net 1.1. The world and .net has advanced and moved on. VS2010 has ability to target ("compile") different version of the framework, so this is one reason to upgrade to a newer version of the IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

View PostDarenR, on 10 October 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

@modi---

what does the version of framework have to do with your programming abilities? I don't know to many people that can tell you the version number of the frame owrk, mosty will just say sp2 or VS 200x or 10. Versions are over rated to say the least.

It means a lot to your programming abilities. As other's have mentioned, there are big differences between the versions.

For example:

I work on a .Net 2.0 CF application. With this application, I know that I can't use LINQ.

I mostly work on .Net 3.5, where I can use LINQ, but can't use Tasks.

Sometimes, I get to work on .Net 4.0, where I know I can use Tasks and other Parallel advances that have been added.

So yes, knowing the version that you are coding against means a lot to your coding abilities. If I asked somebody what version of .Net they normally code for or have coded for recently, and they can't tell me, then I wouldn't consider them for any job above entry level. If you don't know the versions of .Net, then you don't know the differences.

Also, if somebody tells me they have only ever used .Net 2.0, I know that they don't know LINQ, WPF, WCF, Silverlight, and Tasks(and other parallel objects).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +