4 Replies - 273 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2011 - 09:21 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

opinion on database calls (project managment app)

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:52 AM

Hi,

My idea is to create a personalized project management application. I just started writing some ideas on a piece of paper and working out some problems using pseudo code :)

- Now first of, would it be better to create this in vb.net or asp.net(vb)?
- How should I take multiple users into consideration? For example: when 2 users are editing a single text field?
- When I integrate a forum, when user1 adds a topic, how would I push a notification to user2? (or what keywords should I look for into google to find articles on this topic)?
- When updates has been made in a certain feature (whether it be forum, file uploads, ...), should I requery all fields of that specific feature each time a user launches that feature? Or is there a cache system I should use?

I hope the questions are clear :)

Kind regards
Peter

This post has been edited by mutsop: 11 October 2011 - 04:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: opinion on database calls (project managment app)

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: opinion on database calls (project managment app)

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:08 AM

- Now first of, would it be better to create this in vb.net or asp.net(vb)?

Are you planning on putting this in a web based or desktop app?

- How should I take multiple users into consideration? For example: when 2 users are editing a single text field?

Have a file be "locked" so when person A checks it out person B can't.

- When I integrate a forum, when user1 adds a topic, how would I push a notification to user2? (or what keywords should I look for into google to find articles on this topic)?

Database triggers are an option.. or just have a notification table.. and in the code for the "add topic" have a small bit that checks the notifications table and sends those people an email.

- When updates has been made in a certain feature (whether it be forum, file uploads, ...), should I requery all fields of that specific feature each time a user launches that feature? Or is there a cache system I should use?

Explain this more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Well it would be for a certain amount of people, and all resources will be saved in a database on my home server.

Seems logic :)

Database triggers are an option.. or just have a notification table.. and in the code for the "add topic" have a small bit that checks the notifications table and sends those people an email.

I was thinking of setting up a log system of every created/modified/deleted file and send these. So you propose of setting a trigger when a user clicks the add topic. Is there a way maybe of combining Cron with vb.net?

Explain this more.

Well for example, you open up the forum, a query is been made for all categories... The user closes the forum and comes back. Should I requery these categories/threads? What about when you open up a picture album/collection?
Im not sure if this is a relevant question or I even should consider thinking about this... But I'm still struggling with how to program certain things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

View Postmutsop, on 11 October 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

Well it would be for a certain amount of people, and all resources will be saved in a database on my home server.

That's not a responsive answer. Do you want the full power of a desktop app but with an install, or a webpage?

Seems logic :)

Indeed.

I was thinking of setting up a log system of every created/modified/deleted file and send these. So you propose of setting a trigger when a user clicks the add topic. Is there a way maybe of combining Cron with vb.net?

The database trigger would be off on it's own. As well most databases have a log system that can be setup for what ever your conditional needs are.
... but yes, in each stored procedure you can add information to a 'log table' and query against that.

Explain this more.

Well for example, you open up the forum, a query is been made for all categories... The user closes the forum and comes back. Should I requery these categories/threads? What about when you open up a picture album/collection?
Im not sure if this is a relevant question or I even should consider thinking about this... But I'm still struggling with how to program certain things.

It seems pretty straight forward - if the initial state action is to query for some data, and the user leaves and comes back the system should go back to the initial state. Of course there are specific conditions that I would break that rule for, but generally I hold to a state diagram pretty firmly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:21 AM

As for point 1 I suppose I'll use both. I'll be using an n-tier coding solution so it would simplify the use of both versions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1