6 Replies - 7643 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Which Tablet? Galaxy v Sony v Transformer v ?

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

So I'm in the market for a tablet of some description, preferably Android, and was wondering what you guys may have used. Specifically I'm looking at getting a Galaxy Tab 10.1, Sony Tablet S or eee Transformer. I'll be using it for web surfing and streaming HD content from my PC. I see in the specs for Sony's new tablet that the max data rate for its wireless in 74mbps even though it's 802.11n, is that enough for streaming HD stuff? I can't seem to find proper specs for the other options I'm looking at, would they better or the same?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Tablet? Galaxy v Sony v Transformer v ?

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Tablet? Galaxy v Sony v Transformer v ?

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

Yes, that is plenty for streaming HD stuff. Most likely, your internet connection won't even come close to that speed. Your internet connection will be the bottleneck, not the theoretical max speed of the wireless card.

Did you even look this up? How could you not find anything on the Galaxy Tab 10.1? A simple Google search for "Galaxy Tab 10.1" gives you the first result as being the Samsung page dedicated to it.

Searching for the Sony tablet was the same thing.

http://store.sony.co...552921666369301

Same goes for the Asus table.

http://www.asus.com/...nsformer_TF101/

Do you know how to use Google?

Personally, having used none of them or even seen them, I would probably choose the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The Galaxy Tab and the Asus tablet seem to be almost exactly the same. The Galaxy Tab has a "better" front facing camera, but that's about it. I would choose the Samsung because I know that it's getting all of the latest Android updates almost a soon as they come out. I don't know if that's going to happen for the Asus tablet. Also, Samsung has been killing it with their phones, so I would hope they would do the same with the tablet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Just a heads up - woot.com is having a wootoff and I am looking at

Motorola XOOM 10.1" 32GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi (refurbed)
$349.99 + $5 shipping

Just say'n - if you are looking for a cheap tab keep an eye on woot for the next day or or so during this wootoff.

Oh, and do *NOT* pickup the Gtablet from Viewsonic. POS (I may cop to actually owning one)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

A colleague of mine has the Xoom. It's a nice tablet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thankyou eclipsed4utoo, I had realised that my internet connection was not going to be anywhere near as fast. If you recall I mentioned in my first post I was going to be streaming HD from my PC (incidentally set up as a PVR), though when I took the time to sit down and figure out the bit rate 74mbps should be fine.

Perhaps I should have been more specific when referring to proper specs as I meant that in the relation to the previous statement about the bit rate of the Sony tablet. I had already been to the links you suggested (thanks to the power of Google) but the Galaxy and Transformer ones did not give me the speed of the wireless hence the question here, I assume they are probably the same as the Sony though. I had thought all 802.11n connections were 300mbps.

Thanks modi123_1, I'll check woot out after work. Also thanks for the tip on the ViewSonic!

This post has been edited by scalt: 12 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I'm pretty happy with it. Wifi reception isn't the best but is still good enough, the only thing that gets is the bloody youtube app doesn't work but I'm told that's the same for all Android Tabs (at least after the update anyway)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

The Galaxy tab has the slickest form of the three.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1