10 Replies - 416 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello Everyone

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am glad to find this forum which seems to be very active and full of good knowledge.

I am 21 years old and from Cincinnati where I am currently enrolled on University of Phoenix for a programming associates. I work at a GameStop where I have been working for going on 5 years. I was originally enrolled for teaching but that isn't for me. During some time off I realized, I know to much about video games to not follow the passion. So I cant't draw and everyone can tell a story, which lead me to remembering some time ago I messed around with coding to mod a game called Dark Age of Camelot and didn't find it overwhelming.

Some of my hobbies would playing my guitar, creating techno, reading books, drinking with friends, and obviously video games.

I have thought myself basic HTML which I have created several website a while ago which I lost interest in. I have taken up C# as my dominate language of choice. But that may change. I have recently taken a class for basic java which was fun and enjoyable. I will be taking a class soon for basic intro to C/C++ and then HTML 1 and HTML 2 classes. I would like to enhance my skills to make simple video games for myself and maybe land a job within an AAA game company but no rush on that. I honestly would take a job as a simple programmer after I get my associates degree within March 2012.

I hope to learn and possible help others.
It will be nice getting to know other programmers :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello Everyone

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello Everyone

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello there! Funny story, I came to take IT as my course because when I first got into my university I didn't know what to enroll for, so I decided that because I liked videogames, I enrolled in IT. Surprise, surprise, programming is tough and my wealth of knowledge in videogames didn't help me one bit in my programming classes. Right now my main language in coding is Java, and I am a beginner programmer when it comes to HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. I made some simple games with those three, which are found in this site. Why not try creating easy ones first then move on to attempt more ambitious ones?

Good luck with your studies, and we hope to welcome you in the industry this coming March of 2012. Welcome to this forum! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thank you! I plan on starting smaller and working from there. I have made some really small simple games with the game engine Unity. Java is a very nice language and I have enjoyed learning it so far and hope to continue. I'll have to take a look at your games. I had a friend who used to make some decent money making flash games during high school. Hope your studies go well. We got plenty of time to learn!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

Oh, I'm working now. Wow! Unity! Eherm. You can skip my games if you like, I bet what you did are more engaging and fun than I created. If you really want to know...
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Nice, I hope to be working soon in the business. Asteroids Blaster sounds pretty sweet. I was a big fan of asteroid blasters type games. I made a very simple shoot like space invaders/centipede through tutorials from 3Dbuzz. Also some card games from my books. nothing to exciting as well, but maybe one day I'll create something unique.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

welcome I just joined last week. Like your screen name...I'm a student as well but headed for software engineering as the goal. But, I guess a job at AAA would be good to..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hello, ZombieMadMonkey1971! I like your screen name/avatar! I liked to be a software developer too. By AAA I mean the ratings of a game producing company(like EA Games, Blizzard, Activations), not the AAA insurance place just to be clear. I wouldn't mind working for AAA the insurance place either, its a pay check. Someday I'll make a sick zombie game hopefully.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

I guess that is the dream of all gamers, to create a game that will truly be called a masterpiece. All gamers have ideas but only a few can make them come true. Hope we'll be one of those few ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Most definitely! Not expecting over night, but more of a progression. But we can do it if we put our minds to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 13 October 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

I guess that is the dream of all gamers, to create a game that will truly be called a masterpiece. All gamers have ideas but only a few can make them come true. Hope we'll be one of those few ^^

And with the aid of DIC we will make that dream come true, ask away and we will do our 100% best to help you, or your money back. Guaranteed!
Nah, we will Help You, at absolutely no expense.
I can't stress enough how good a place and how much luck you had to find Dream.In.Code. it's a great place and I really hope we can make your dreams come true.
J-Bo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hello JimmyBo, Got me sold. jk lol So far I am enjoying the website with its vast amount of information. Just stumbled across some thread about free lancing which I hope I'll be good enough to that one day possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1