8 Replies - 4715 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2011 - 03:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating a Form Based RPG in C# (Final Fantasy 1 Style)

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

Hello! I'm completely new to these forums and stumbled across them in my vast search for help across the internet, basically, I'm a computing student in England, and for my coursework project I have chosen to script a Final Fantasy-esque RPG in Visual C#.

I've created a basic RPG in console before, EXP tables and battle systems all seemed easy enough when it was just in text, but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to form-based programming, my only real experience was making an Asteroids-esque game that I only managed to get partially working with a lot of help and assistance.

I have 2 months of programming to complete my project, and to be honest I'm just not sure where to start. If someone could point me in the right direction then that would be amazing help, any help or advice towards creating an RPG in C# would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Jordan.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a Form Based RPG in C# (Final Fantasy 1 Style)

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Creating a Form Based RPG in C# (Final Fantasy 1 Style)

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Hi Cataclysma and welcome.

Depending on precisely what you want to do you are pressed for time given the fact that you don't know where to start. Can you clarify this bit:

I have chosen to script a Final Fantasy-esque RPG in Visual C#.

please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hello Cataclysma, welcome to Dream.In.Code.

Creating a final fantasy 1 style RPG in 2 months, being a beginner, is a deceivingly monumental task. Don't be tricked into thinking that the game is simple to implement just because it's an old game for the NES. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it will certainly be a challenge.

If you still choose to take on this task, then I would suggest learning XNA ASAP. Check out our resource list in our XNA forum. Read through the tutorials and samples and do some quick test projects.

I hope that helps. Please come back to us for any questions/problems you have.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostButchDean, on 13 October 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

Hi Cataclysma and welcome.

Depending on precisely what you want to do you are pressed for time given the fact that you don't know where to start. Can you clarify this bit:

I have chosen to script a Final Fantasy-esque RPG in Visual C#.

please?

Thank you for your responses, it's a class project and I'll be spending around 9 hours a week minimum coding with help from my tutor.

The original Final Fantasy game was a turn based RPG for the NES, with systems such as the shop, basic combat with EXP and gold, an overworld to travel on and encounter enemies and a few towns and dungeons. I'm looking to make a similar game with the same core characteristics (level up, learn new spells, buy new equipment, get stronger, fight stronger monsters etc.) but with a hell of a lot less content.

Our tutor told us the most important thing to worry about is doing something you want to do, as we would be spending so much time on it, he told us our programming will only improve and lots of help would be provided however after our first lesson coding I was left somewhat confused, I managed to make a rubbish interface form with 3 simple buttons, "New Game", "Load Game", and "Quit" haha.

Here's some gameplay of FF1 incase you're not familiar :) : http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Tx0c7jXbA_E
I'm planning to cut a few corners by not providing animations during battle, and instead having a text box to describe what's going on - "Warrior hits Imp for 10 damage" etc.

I'm not looking to take on something as huge a scale as Final Fantasy, my classmates are doing stuff from Pong and Snake to Space Invaders, Asteroids, online booking systems, complex databases, soundboards etc. I've chosen a relatively difficult task, but because of that they'll expect a lot less content and it's something I enjoy doing!

It doesn't need to be super long, hell it could only have one town if necessary, just so long as I get the systems right then the actual amount of content itself shouldn't matter a whole lot. FF1 was actually a damn long game and I couldn't hope to match its length in such a short time period.

Thanks alot for the quick responses guys.

Couldn't find the edit button so I just thought I'd add a quick note.

I have the full professional version of Visual Studios 2010 and it's what my tutor will expect me to use :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Okay. You now have two months, how much time did your professor give you initially? Haven't they offered any options as to what tools to use? Why this is important is that it gives you a better idea in terms of the scope of what is expected for your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostButchDean, on 13 October 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

Okay. You now have two months, how much time did your professor give you initially? Haven't they offered any options as to what tools to use? Why this is important is that it gives you a better idea in terms of the scope of what is expected for your project.

We have been preparing for the actual programming segments for 2 months now, we have lead up to it by producing documentation including design, meetings, ideas, market research etc. The time assigned to us is 4 1/2 hours in class of programming per week, with the same expected of us to perform at home for 6 weeks. We then have a weeks holiday before the hand-in where we can finalise everything, we're expected to do around 10 hours in that week as well, overall there is about 65 hours of programming involved in the project, however I'm aiming for a higher grade so I'm very happy to work longer than this.

The actual projects themselves have very little substance, the idea of the project is that we find a client who wants something, and then we design it for them. I struggled to find a client that wanted a program from me, so instead I used my dad as my client and kind of made-up him wanting an RPG in the documentation etc. Other students are doing stuff as simple as Frogger with slight deviances from the original by adding multiple levels or power-ups, I think my route is a lot more difficult but could be much more rewarding in the long run, even if I only got half of what I wanted completed, I reckon I'd still get credited a hell of a lot for it.

As for tools, I've been learning console based C# for the last 4 months or so in Visual Studios and we've only just briefly done some form based work, however a lot of it is very similar to console. It's not a university course, it's only a college A Level course (I'm 17) if that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Okay:

1. You're wasting too much time 'thinking about it'. You don't have that luxury.
2. This is a programming project where you are expected to create a game in the time given, not design a fantastic game that is attempting to be near production quality. I doubt your school is requiring you to do that.
3. Get the game written as best you can as soon as you can. If you have the time and can improve it then do so. Just get the game done now.

Hope that helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm not trying to throw away your help or anything, but I'm aware of the short time limitations and I'm in the process of writing the game, however the process is very sloppy and unstructed, I'm writing exp tables and skill tables at the moment, but the actual structure of the game and how to piece it together with different forms is confusing me, I understand this is free advice and it's me asking for help, but I didn't ask for someone to tell me that I have a small amount of time to get the work done, I know that, I asked for help with where to start.

Sorry if I sound disrespectful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

sometimes what causes the confusion in coding a game is thinking about it too much. You need to work with the basics and build from that. Unless you are a professional developer (and even if you are a pro game developer), you will never have perfectly neat code - it's just the nature of the beast.

How you are thinking the process goes actually doesn't you should be thinking along the lines of what your game objects are and coding around that; your concern over code structure will always be an issue. And as said, developing a game is time-consuming, hence the lack of time warning.

It's up to you. How are your classmates doing? Has anyone got anything done yet? That is normally a good benchmark to determine where you should be by now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1