59 Replies - 14827 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

#1 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

A Change to Edit Times

Post icon  Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

POPULAR

Due to a number of recent threads like this one, where the user removes the contents of his or her posts after receiving help, we have implemented some changes into post editing. Previously, members with 1-10 posts had a 10 minute edit window, which we have removed because this is group where we see abuse of the editing privilege the most. We have also increased the post threshold to 15 posts for the New Members group. The Members group, which used to have an hour to edit their posts, now only has 15 minutes.

Below is the complete breakdown for edit times:
Just Registered [0 Posts] Can't Edit
New Members [1-15 posts] Can't Edit
Members [16-50 posts] 15 minutes
Active Members [50+ posts] 24 Hours
Contributors 1 Week
Authors 1 Month
Experts 1 Month
Mentors 3 Months

The other change that has been implemented is the addition of a Restricted Editors group. Members who abuse the editing privilege to remove the contents of their posts, especially after receiving help, will be placed into this group and will no longer have editing permissions.

If your editing time has expired and you need something like to fix a code tag, typo, etc., contact a Forum Leader, Mentor, or Team Member with your request. However, no PM or Report will change our stance that posts relevant to a help thread will simply not be removed. Once you post it on the internet, it is there permanently. So think carefully before you post something.

These changes were not made lightly, and were given serious consideration by the moderation team. If you have a question or concern regarding these changes, feel free to reply here or contact me via PM.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 24
  • +

Replies To: A Change to Edit Times

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Change to Edit Times

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Good to see modifications that make forum clean. Also nice to see edit abuser group, because some members with more than fifty posts used to remove their code ---> Mostly many members reaches fifteen posts by asking the same question or non sense.

Good work moderation team
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

This is a nice adition. Good job guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Will this be implemented in the General Discussion areas? Or is it the same throughout the entire site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

It is the same throughout the whole site. So make wise choices if you aren't a standard member.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

nice work. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

I still think it should be limitless for Expert +, mainly because we tend to have quite a few resource threads that would be nice to update frequently instead of constantly getting on Mods for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

I think this is perfect considering that there is a lot of abuse. The whole point of a forum is to keep questions up so people looking for info can easily find the right answers. If it really bothers you, ask a moderator to remove a post, bur please don't wreck threads. It damages the learning community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

View PostLemur, on 14 October 2011 - 12:08 AM, said:

I still think it should be limitless for Expert +, mainly because we tend to have quite a few resource threads that would be nice to update frequently instead of constantly getting on Mods for it.

Well, for forum leaders, they should have moderation privileges in the forums they lead. This will allow them to edit any threads, including their own, such as resource threads. They simply won't be able to edit older threads in other forums. If you're not one, they as well as mentors should be able to help maintain these threads.

View PostjimmyBo, on 14 October 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

If it really bothers you, ask a moderator to remove a post, bur please don't wreck threads. It damages the learning community.

You can ask, but in almost every case we're going to say no. People need to understand they do not own the rights to the content they post here, and they cannot demand its removal. Plus, once you put something out on the internet, it's pretty much out there. If you're worried about your professor finding your thread, for instance, you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. We're not going to destroy the work of those trying to help because you didn't have the foresight to realize it was a bad idea to post your homework online.

The only valid reason for removal I can think of off the top of my head is to remove personal information, such as a password or customer information. Even in that case, we're not going to delete a post, just edit it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Great update. I wonder though, is it possible to restrict edits of previous content but allow adding new? That way the first post can always be up to date, even if the previous content has not actually been edited.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:24 AM

Unfortunately, that is not possible from our end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

I still don't exactly get the distinction between expert and forum leader, it still seems like splitting hairs to me, but whatever works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

I think the denotations of either word would be enough to show that there is a difference between the function of each.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Forum leaders lead forums. Experts are experts in their language. The difference is that experts don't have to be active in creating challenges and discussions. They have to be exceedingly knowledgeable and helpful in their particular category. Mentors are all this and more.

Forum leaders don't have to be an expert. They have to be extremely active, an evangelist for their language (or whatever), and help with community building exercises.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

This is a very nice rule... should have read it before i posted anything on this website
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »