• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

67 Replies - 49405 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: A Change to Edit Times

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

I don't particularly enjoy disagreeing, but I think there is a much better solution: content can be edited by the author regardless of their status, but only until the next message is posted. I can't remember where, but I've definitely seen that system in practice.

That way, content can neither be removed anymore once help is offered or any other next message is posted, which is what the new rule seems to be all about.

Like to read your thoughts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

See, that could work, but I see no reason to change. First, the forum software may not even support that model, and second, what's so necessary about editing? Just post an addendum in a reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think posts should be there forever. Users of the internet usually visit other forums and some times link their posts to other sites. The internet and whatever is there belongs to everyone.
If a content is removed,the links are broken. When posting and proof reading, all the editing should be allowed, but when posted, just another editing, mostly typos should be allowd. If the content is wrong, you could post the correction below.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

Posts here do last forever. Threads are never deleted, they may be closed, but no deleted. All posts are archived and you can search them in the search bar located on the header, I find it extremely helpful. Technically the internet belongs to no one, but I too like to say that we all own it :). I love how edit times are now set up on the site, I being an author, have found them extremely fair to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

The only reason I did this is because my professors this quarter are breathing fire down our necks about this shit. I usually always leave my code, and even go to the extent to posting the complete, [relatively] bug-free code when I'm done figuring shit out.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 30 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

If you can't leave your code on the site, then it's because you can't accept online help due to your class/professor rules.

If you can't accept online help, then you shouldn't be posting online for the help.

It is as simple as that! There is no reason for us to adjust any edit times. Abide by your own rules, we simply won't bend our own agenda because you are bypassing your assignment rules.

You want one on one help, pay for a tutor. You want to be part of a programming community that archives questions & results, post away...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

It's not that we're not allowed to get help, they didn't want us to leave the code up while the project was still open to be turned in. If you really want, I can attach the code back in as soon as the deadline's up, which is like thursday?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Yes- please do add your code back into your posts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 30 October 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

what's so necessary about editing? Just post an addendum in a reply.

Correcting errors and omissions in addenda makes the threads less readable. And apparently, the edit option is necessary. See the periods that these people have the time to edit:

Members [16-50 posts] 15 minutes
Active Members [50+ posts] 24 Hours
Contributors 1 Week
Authors 1 Month
Experts 1 Month
Mentors 3 Months

Which I find peculiar, because now active members can remove content almost a day after help is being offered. In my system, they cannot; only moderators/mentors and owner would be able to do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:41 AM

Which I find peculiar, because now active members can remove content almost a day after help is being offered. In my system, they cannot; only moderators/mentors and owner would be able to do that.
When updating any system, studying the experience and user behavior for the previous system is very important. Here in DIC, the experience shows that, many new users are the one abuses the edit feature by removing their code after they get help, that is why those changes were made.

Correcting errors and omissions in addenda makes the threads less readable.
Someone can easy do it by reply to its post explaining it clearly. Also a report button can be used to report a post.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

Here in DIC, the experience shows that, many new users are the one abuses the edit feature by removing their code after they get help, that is why those changes were made.

I understand that, but why not implement a change that makes that nobody except moderators/admins/mentors can remove their/a message after help is offered, and at the same time offers a more user-friendly editing system? Your editing system could be more user-friendly quite easily.

This post has been edited by FrankC: 31 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

Generally speaking, Active Members don't try to remove their posts. The editing times are a sign of trust, so to speak. We trust that members who have been around for a while and know the ropes will respect the rules; and for those that don't, they lose their editing privileges. As you said, editing can have its positive uses. So for members that have shown interest in sticking around on DIC, the editing privileges are more a sign of how much we trust and value contributing members. Now unfortunately, the people (who are mainly in the <= 15 posts category) that remove their posts after getting help are the ones who ruin it for others like yourself. While I'm sorry that it's a minor inconvenience, it is just that- a minor inconvenience. It doesn't greatly impact your ability to use the forum. And if there is an edit that is as important as you are making edits out to be, then it is important enough where you can contact a mentor, forum leader, or moderator with a request to make the change.

Furthermore, I can see the editing setup you described annoying many people. In some forums, three people may post at the same time. Only the last person would be able to edit typos. That seems to me that it would generate more aggravation than for new members not to have any editing permissions at all.

By the way- you now have fifteen minutes to edit your posts as you are no longer in the New Members category. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

i waste 12hours to find the way edit my post. It'll be better for beginner that have just registered if admin add this contents into TERMS.
Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Well, that makes you about the only one who's ever read a Terms prompt then. Though I suppose you're right, it would be a decent idea.

However, wasting 12 hours...wow. That's dedicated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I do hope this rule isn't enforced in the Authors and Contributors forum. I can easily see myself taking more than 1 month to put together a tutorial draft. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »