13 Replies - 9919 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Booting with Ubuntu from a flash drive

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm in the process of downloading the Ubuntu server iso file to Windows 7, and I have the USB installer software that Ubuntu.com recommended. I've used Ubuntu before, but for a very short time, and I've never installed an OS before.

Is it possible to have Ubuntu and Windows 7 installed at the same time? If so, how would I assign each OS part of the hard drive? Is it impossible with only one hard drive / when you have two that are striped together?

Any tips would be great, thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Booting with Ubuntu from a flash drive

• vexing conundrum
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Booting with Ubuntu from a flash drive

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

I would partition the drive, boot from the USB, in Ubuntu install it to the spare drive partition, and then *hopefully* the Windows 7 Boot Manager should take care of the rest.
J-Bo
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

How do I partition the drive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• vexing conundrum
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Look here: (its for XP but it shouldn't be too different)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
J-Bo
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I have 244 Gigs of free space but the entire drive is allocated memory, and I think I need at least some unallocated space in order to make a partition.

Would making a VHD do the same thing as partitioning?

EDIT: I was able to shrink the volume so I now have unallocated space.

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 14 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

I tried booting Ubuntu from my flash drive, but it doesn't work. Once I choose to boot from the USB, it takes me to a screen with options for Ubuntu like Run from USB and Install to hard disk. When I select any of those my computer beeps and otherwise ignores my choice. After I try a few times, it starts a countdown of 5 seconds before it says it will automatically boot, which it doesn't. It just beeps twice and restarts the timer.

I think my partition might be the problem. I don't know how to tell Ubuntu which partition to install itself to. Also, are partitions the same as simple volumes? There is no clear way to create a partition, but there is a simple volume wizard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

This is what I would do.

I would remove the hard drive, & place it into a Linux machine. Using Gparted I would shrink the Windows partition. Replace the hard drive into the original machine, install Linux onto the free space, & lastly configure grub to be the boot manager.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

I ended up running it in Oracle's VirtualBox, and I'm fine with that. I'm having loads of problems, though, and I need some more advice.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to be missing tons of packages, including the software center package. I'm not sure how to install it - I've tried using the terminal and the "apt-get" commands to no avail. Where along the lines of installation could I have messed up to the point where such an important package is missed?

Should I make a new virtual machine and boot ubuntu more carefully or could I fix this while in Ubuntu or in VirtualBox?

I should also mention that when I finished booting for the first time I had no GUI packages installed, so I had to google the command to download them (worked perfectly). During installation, Ubuntu asked me to choose something to download out of a list of random things like SQL databases and whatnot, and I chose a server or something. One of the download options was something like "USB launched GUI" which might have been the actual UI for Ubuntu...

It's all very confusing and any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've tried using the terminal and the "apt-get" commands to no avail.

What error was returned?

Without knowing where you downloaded this version of Ubuntu, or what instructions that you followed, it's difficult to say. I have always done my installs from cd-rom. Not that I am implying the source medium alone has any effect on the end result working or not, but I can only imagine that a USB version will be a slimmer, dumb-ed down version where as a cd-rom or even DVD will be a full bore, code, all current release sort of deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

I downloaded the newest version from Ubuntu.com as an image .iso file. I did have it on a USB, but now that I'm using VirtualBox I literally pointed it to my downloads folder where the image file was. There were no errors in downloading the entire Ubuntu image file, and no errors when booting with it.

When I try to download the missing software center package, the terminal tells me that I have unmet dependencies. I'm assuming I would get the same error if I tried to download those dependencies, so I haven't tried.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Are you clicking 'Download & Install' or 'Try it from a CD or USB Stick'?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

...Ubuntu will normally give you the option to install them side by side. Grub takes care of boot order and can preserve windows.

Really the question I have to ask, why Ubuntu Server? If you're installing it side by side a windows partition I'd just go standard Ubuntu. You're going to drive yourself mad if you try that out the gate as your first dive into Linux.

If it's not, a headless type server is still not something for the faint of heart to attempt. Unless you have one heck of a background in CLI you'll be in pain for quite a while. Really I would encourage this option as a means of learning but it is undoubtedly difficult.

As far as apt-get, you're forgetting to sudo it. What you need is: sudo apt-get install program.

Go with a standard version of Ubuntu, it'll be far easier to deal with than a server variation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• vexing conundrum
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

View PostAVReidy, on 16 October 2011 - 01:42 AM, said:

I tried booting Ubuntu from my flash drive, but it doesn't work. Once I choose to boot from the USB, it takes me to a screen with options for Ubuntu like Run from USB and Install to hard disk. When I select any of those my computer beeps and otherwise ignores my choice. After I try a few times, it starts a countdown of 5 seconds before it says it will automatically boot, which it doesn't. It just beeps twice and restarts the timer.

I think my partition might be the problem. I don't know how to tell Ubuntu which partition to install itself to. Also, are partitions the same as simple volumes? There is no clear way to create a partition, but there is a simple volume wizard.
okay man, here is your problem:
Youve shrunk the volume but have not formatted the Unallocated Space
Go back to the program that you shrunk the volume in, right mouse click the Unallocated Space, and click Format.
Then pick your File Sustem and Ubuntu should recognise it.
J-Bo

What i meant by the last sentence was to boot from the.USB and Ubuntu should be able to see the new volume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Format as ext3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1