3 Replies - 386 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Why is explorer different?

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

So I know explorer isn't the browser of choice for many, myself included and I'm starting to see why.

I have a site that has a list of links at the top. Everything looks great in chrome, ff, safari and opera but explorer is showing it wrong. Worse yet, it seems to be messing up my queries and I'm not sure how. My php is querying a field that should only be queried if your roleid>x. lol...and the css is all screwy too!!

Does anyone know of a place that I could find some helpful tips on making everything cross compatible?

As always thanks in advance!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why is explorer different?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is explorer different?

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

The thing is that it isn't explorer. Explorer is the file directory software in Windows. Internet Explorer was Microsoft's way of trying to take out Netscape, needless to say the succeeded. The problem with Internet Explorer was that they didn't keep up with the standards. They would release a new version of the browser every few years or so. In order to make your sites more cross browser compatible you need to use elements and CSS that's compatible with it. Also I suggest you read up on graceful degradation and realize that not all sites need to look the same in all browsers :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge....

Internet Explorer is so much different from Google chrome ,Mozila and other web browser......
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

A browser cannot and will not interfere with Server Side code, because as is its nature, it is executed on a remote server. That just means bad coding.

As far as CSS and HTML, be standards compliant, avoid tables, and make sure to keep clean code. If you can't hand it to an average person and have them understand what's going on you're making it too complicated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1