6 Replies - 261 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello to Dream.in.code!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hello World!
My name is Graham and I'm a college student at Indiana University doing computer science. I have taken two years of Java programming and am taking a refresh semester currently. I've also been exposed to Scheme, C#, ASP.NET, CSS, HTML, Python and PHP. (although not very much on those last two.) I'm looking to help people answer questions and also to seek help on my own from the masters of this website. I'm also looking for open source projects to work on if anyone needs any extra hands.(or fingers I guess) Please ask me questions and I will do my best to respond. I look forward to answering questions and gaining knowledge. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello to Dream.in.code!

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello to Dream.in.code!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

Welcome to dream in code, hope you will be part of helpful member here, see you in forums :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hey charpede! Welcome to Dream.in.Code! I'm studying CS as well. What year are you? From the sounds of things, you'll probably run into me a lot, as Java and PHP are the two languages I'm strongest in. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm a first semester Sophomore. And it looks like we will run into each other quite a bit. Hopefully though, by looking through other topics in other languages I can pick up the basics and apply what I already know about Java to those other languages and expand my knowledge-base in Java as well. I'm not very familiar with java.swing, or many of the web interfaces, as we most developed games in house that ran in house. The most advanced things we did were with streams, sockets and networking, but those concepts are fairly simple once you find out Java has them built in. Do you know any resources for more advanced techniques? I know that I am taking Java in college and hopefully that will be harder than high school, but so far we've just been doing the basics and it's already midterm.
If you have any references, shoot them my way, if not, then I look forward to seeing you in the forums also. :smile2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

I have a thread Getting Better at Programming Java that you may find helpful. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hey, thanks for that post!! I really appreciate it, the tutorials in there are really nice. I get to start in stage three. I've never used Generics before, they are really interesting. Of course I haven't taken a data structures class either so linked lists were new to me as well.

Do you have any other suggestions for getting better? I'll just go help more people for now with what I already know. Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

That's how I got better. Researching and having members more knowledgeable than myself critiquing my solutions has helped a ton! And mine still get critiqued! It's a great way to learn more! And of course by writing more code. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1