2 Replies - 729 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java for web development? Point me in the right direction

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hey guys, I have done a bit of application development in Java and I am wondering how is Java used in web development. Whats the standard, I have seen Java Server Pages (??) , servlets (sorta under them), and applets (done some). Any help on pointing me to some reading and/or brief explanation would be cool! Thnx!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java for web development? Point me in the right direction

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java for web development? Point me in the right direction

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Moved to Java EE.

All of these technologies fall under the Java EE platform. I've never worked with Java EE in any real depth, but you may find this tutorial helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java for web development? Point me in the right direction

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

Java Web constitutes a wide spectrum of technologies, including but not limited to:

JSP
Servlets
Frameworks

Basically that's it. Full fledged Java web apps only need those three to run. To give you an example here's how stuff works in a Java web app:

JSP - Basically contains the outputs/views/user interfaces. Just like HTML and ASP, or PHP, but powered with Java.
Ex:
A Simple Login Page

Servlets - Java classes that extend the HttpServlet class. Basically these are the classes that you need to process your data, and they're sent to JSP in the manner you best like.
Ex:
LoginServlet, which validates the user

Then we go to another JSP, either Home.jsp or LoginAgain.jsp.

Did you know that JSPs are really Servlets? They are converted to Servlets in runtime.

Now frameworks. Frameworks play a major role in Java web development. There are lots of popular frameworks for MVC(Model-View-Controller), Persistence, and other technologies that are otherwise hard to implement in Java or are prone to security breaches. Some of the popular frameworks are:

MVC - Spring, Struts
Dependency Injection - Spring
Persistence - Hibernate, iBatis

They are there to either make your life easier by providing easier ways to implement certain jobs(such as instanciation of objects using Spring) or make your life a nightmare by showing you lots of generic error codes.

Either way, Java web is a very fun and challenging field.

Good luck. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1