5 Replies - 544 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online software development Teams

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hello all.

I am currently a student and I am not sure how the software development work environment is, so that is why im hoping you guys can help answer my question.I was wondering if it is possible to team up with people online and develop software together?

Is it possible, if so how? How would the project be managed? will we need a central place to develop the software or could this be done separately but then how does everything the come together? Also How is this does in the real world, when a team is working on one big project do they have have to code into one central location?

Iv seen posts where people are asking other forum users to join then in developing ABC, thats what made me start thinking about this and I thought finding someone online to help with a project sounds like a good idea, but how can this be done and managed?

Hope my question makes sense thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online software development Teams

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online software development Teams

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

I was wondering if it is possible to team up with people online and develop software together?

yes.

Is it possible, if so how?

Find open source projects (google's great for that), look at the bug list, and try and tackle what you can. Find groups on CL or the forum working on a combined project.

How would the project be managed?

By committee... Usually there are a few self appointed project managers that spend some time on that, but most of the deadlines (if there even are deadlines) are group consensus.

will we need a central place to develop the software or could this be done separately but then how does everything the come together?

Both. There are usually shared code repositories people can check changes into (look up "source control"). Be it you are working directly with the online repository or saved it off to your pc is up to the repository setup.

Also How is this does in the real world, when a team is working on one big project do they have have to code into one central location?

Yes - source control.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

Subversion, also known as svn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

You should be aware that SVN isn't the only option, not by a long shot. Git and Mercurial are gaining a lot of popularity, and sites like Github and Bitbucket make it easy to share online projects without maintaining your own SVN server.

Of course, there are other sites too, like sourceforge and codeplex. Both are great for open source projects as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Ok thanks for the replies guys..

I have a few more questions. Do these projects usually start from the design stage (wireframes and mockups) if so how is that managed.

Also when coding since anyone can participate , who gets to determine, which programmers code will be included or rather how do you determine good from bad code? because this must be a night mare if there are hundreds of coders submitting code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

Do these projects usually start from the design stage (wireframes and mockups) if so how is that managed.

Yes.. most projects start from the design stage. I don't understand what you mean by managed? People chuck in ideas, direction, scope, and so forth... that work is divided up to design, it's merged together, and off it goes.

Also when coding since anyone can participate , who gets to determine, which programmers code will be included or rather how do you determine good from bad code? because this must be a night mare if there are hundreds of coders submitting code?

A team of release managers and the appointed project managers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1