How do you handle versioning?

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 1731 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Version Control

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

How do you handle versioning for your applications? I'm aware of products like subversion for web based applications, but what are you using for your compiled apps and such?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Version Control

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Version Control

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 19 Mar, 2007 - 01:57 PM, said:

How do you handle versioning for your applications? I'm aware of products like subversion for web based applications, but what are you using for your compiled apps and such?

I've used Subversion and CVS for compiled apps - currently CVS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

I've never used it for compiled apps, does it work the same as for a web app? Are there other products that you are aware of?

At work we don't have "versioning" per-se, but just a development, staging, and production web server. Not ideal, but it works for what we need it for.

I would love to setup some sort of version control though so we could do regression testing and the like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

I've been using CVS for bigger things, mostly RCS though.

I've heard a lot of good things about subversion, but have never really had the oportunity to fully check it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:59 AM

We are using CVS right now, but subversion is being evaluated.
Using a version control system is a very good thing, but you have to think a lot about what to put into it (binary files, that can not be merged, etc.), and check the tools that are going to use it, wether they can be used together, or just one at a time ( I had a nightmare once, when I was naiv using Eclipse and WinCVS, and they went out of sync, so hell was unleashed... )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

I always use Subversion.
There is also a program cvs2svn that can convert current CVS repsitories to Subversion.

Here is a paper that I will be presenting tonight about Subversion at a LUG meeting.

http://www.ajsurf.dy...org/map/svn.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

View Postajwsurfer, on 20 Mar, 2007 - 02:45 PM, said:

I always use Subversion.
There is also a program cvs2svn that can convert current CVS repsitories to Subversion.

Here is a paper that I will be presenting tonight about Subversion at a LUG meeting.

http://www.ajsurf.dy...org/map/svn.pdf

I have used rational rose (as a user not an administrator). Unfortently talking to some administrators binary files are checked in as whole intenties rather than file differences (like text files). Brain storming about it; other than trying to save hard drive space; the difference tracking of binary files is rather pointless if the versioning tool does not understand the underlying format.

So I guess basically, is unless we are capturing binary files as a baseline for a test (ie the binary file is not compiled from the source), we avoid the issue.

Salindor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 19 Mar, 2007 - 02:23 PM, said:

I've never used it for compiled apps, does it work the same as for a web app? Are there other products that you are aware of?

At work we don't have "versioning" per-se, but just a development, staging, and production web server. Not ideal, but it works for what we need it for.

I would love to setup some sort of version control though so we could do regression testing and the like.

My use of SVN is limited, so I can't say how different it works for regular apps vs. web apps. Frankly, though, I prefer CVS. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with it. Maybe it's because the CVS functionality in Eclipse is more familiar to me and seems more robust than the SVN plug-in interface. All I know is that I get more done with CVS. Here's an interesting, if brief, comparison of the two:

http://www.pushok.co...t_svn_vscvs.php
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sexy DIC God
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

Well setting the version of your app can be done when you compile the exe file. Of course some tools do it even easier, but I am used to set the version like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:58 AM

View Postalpha02, on 23 Mar, 2007 - 07:30 AM, said:

Well setting the version of your app can be done when you compile the exe file. Of course some tools do it even easier, but I am used to set the version like that.

Chris et al

There are a swag of tools out there. The basis for most of them is RCS, which is a simple one-user at a time control system.

There is also Concurrent CVS which is deigned to work with a number of users and enable the same file to be modified and merged from several sources.

If you are running any ISO 9001 based system, the use of Version Control is a requirement, so you must select the tool that is pertinent to your needs and ensure you back its use with documentation for your purpose. Refer to HB90.9 - ISO 9001 Guide to Software Management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

At work and at home I use subversion. This is all 'compiled' apps and it works great. It doesn't really matter if it's compiled or a web app. We do maintain a few binaries in SVN, but they rarely change. It's almost all source code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1