• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

324 Replies - 27876 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

XNA Community effort project ideas

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

I think we should actually start a community effort project that we could all contribute to. If someone hosts the files on, say, Dropbox.com and other than keeping a private backup of the whole thing in a separate folder there should be a folder that anybody who signs up for it (sending their email address for invitation to the Host) can access the files in there and view or add their own touches to it over time. What do you think?

So things we need:
  • Someone to create 2 folders on Dropbox, one for whoever signs up to access and either make a copy on their computers to upload into sub-folders on the site, or make changes to the program but adding signature annotations to go with the code added. The second folder will be separate from the other and can only be accessed by the host user, they can make backups of the project over time, making sure that at the time of backing it up there were no illegal modifications made to the project (sabotage or just an error that stops the program from working correctly).
  • Dropbox.com is a simple 2 stage hosting site, you signup on the website and you install a local access program on your computer, this way you can upload and access all the files on the folders you have either created or have been invited to by other users via email. You can also access the files from the site directly and may in fact be more efficient for uploading.
  • An idea of a game that we can all work on.

So what does everyone think?

EDIT: Adding the information of those involved in here:

SixOfEleven -> six.of.eleven
ShadowsEdge19 -> adam.compton19
Kilorn -> kilorn.dic
Ntwiles -> ntwiles
bonyjoe -> bonyjoe
Fib -> chris.fibich
lordofduct ->
MATTtheSEAHAWK -> matttheseahawk
.Aaron ->

Edit 2:
Here is the link for the Wiki we are using to design the game on: DIC XNA Community Project Wiki

This post has been edited by ShadowsEdge19: 15 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: XNA Community effort project ideas

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA Community effort project ideas

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

This sounds like an awesome idea and I've been hoping to work with some of the members here on some projects ever since the project that SixOfEleven and I were working on fell apart. Let's start the brainstorming session and create a game plan that allows for everyone to participate. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone from the project just because of their level of expertise in XNA. We'll have to make sure that the more advanced users are working on the more complicated portions of the game to allow for plenty of easier tasks for the beginners and intermediates.

EDIT: This might also be something that we can somehow work into the open ended reusable class(es) challenge that I'm putting up right now.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 22 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

I would love to participate in this, but I probably don't have enough time to really contribute much at this point. I already have a project + school + work so my time is very limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

Good idea, rather than dropbox though a code repository would better, one that prevents multiple people editing a file at once, will save a lot of hassle. I think GitHub lets you do that stuff and isn't to hard to use, but I've never used it so couldn't tell you for sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yeah sounds good, we still need to come up with a game idea as well, any thoughts?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

I was going to say github too. It would be a lot better for something along the lines of this. Also I'm trying to think of something that we could do ;). I'll report back later!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostShadowsEdge19, on 26 October 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yeah sounds good, we still need to come up with a game idea as well, any thoughts?

I'd vote for some sort of rpg/strategy type game. Those being the genres that usually inspire my projects that is.. :dozingoff: (that and Metroid, but doing the physics and everything for movements has always been a weak spot..). Least there'd be plenty for everyone to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

I like the idea of a 2d sidescrolling metroid style game. I've always loved playing these types of games and they're kind of like rpg's, but don't have quite as much complexity to worry about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hmm, kind of hoping other like that idea too now. I always wanted to work on in some way, and with this there'd be others to do the physics. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Yea, physics are definitely better left to the more experience members as they can be very tricky.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yea, and on top of that I've never been that great with math in general. It's been my most frustrating roadblock when it comes to programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'd suggest checking out macosxnerd101's math tutorials then. He breaks things down very well and makes them easy to understand. They've helped me a couple of times when I'd get stumped and/or my brain just didn't want to work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Nice, I'll take a look at them over the weekend. Thanks for the reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

How would a collaboration like this work? Would each person work on a very specific system (like one person works on the GUI code, another on the enemy AI, ect) in a separate project, then uploads the .cs files. But then who integrates all of the code pieces together?

As you can probably tell I'm not use to working on teams, especially an internet team. I think this would be pretty exciting though, and I would love to contribute. A metroid style 2D platformer sounds good to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

I've found that working on an internet team, having an SVN account for the project helps tremendously. You can download the latest versions of all the files, lock the ones that you're going to work on, and upload them when you've done what you wanted to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »