• Last »

164 Replies - 9877 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Fall / Winter 2011 Fitness...

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

I would like to start up the discussion again of fitness in the community. We did an awesome job for summer, and with the fall to winter months approaching routines generally change. Living in the midwest of the US I believe we just had our last mid 70 degree day, and in the span of the evening are dropping down to 40.

For me this means trying to motivate myself to the gym even with the cold wind... less outdoor walking/jogging because of snow/ice/cold... and the ever so prevalent "over eating for the holiday season".

In general - has anyone set or hit any personal milestones recently?
Found a great new exercise, or healthy recipe?
Altered their routine to adjust a change in the weather?

Personally I've had a few buddies swing through town both independently comment that I am definitely shedding the el-bess. (with the requisite "no homo" to follow it up). It's nice to have unsolicited positive comments to affirm what I am doing is working!

Recipes
protein bars (hookiethe1)

Historical Summer 2011 Fitness

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Fall / Winter 2011 Fitness...

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall / Winter 2011 Fitness...

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

After I ran in the 2011 Akron Marathon, I've put on about 5 pounds. I need to get back to it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm been continuing mostly the same, except now I run after weightlifting. Basically tripled my weekly aerobic workout.

Also trying only doing one protein shake and more vegetables.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

I can get active without getting out of bed.
Jokes, jokes (LOL).

This post has been edited by jimmyBo: 25 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

I'm still on the "no lunch,more water" diet. It doesn't seem to work. Anyway I was looking for the old fitness thread, glad to see it now on it's new form. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

I lost my gym access when I lost my job, and the school gym is crowded with douchebags. Depressed, so I haven't did much fitness wise. School and looking for a job are my priorities now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

you know what... I'm gonna sit on my fat ass, eat Twinkies, and play Skyrim all Winter and for the remainder of Fall. So there!

I can get active without getting out of bed.
Jokes, jokes (LOL).

you burn like 300 calories more if you do it furiously.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 25 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

POPULAR

For those who do not follow my Facebook and/or Twitter...

Twelve days ago, my 10-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. As she was lying in the hospital - her eyes glassy, her face ruddy, tubes pumping things into her little body, coming to terms with her prescribed regimen of six injections daily - I promised her that we would conquer this "together".

So now I'm on the fucking diabetic diet.

But I have dropped a full pant size in 12 days! :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 14
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

Sticking with the same routine as before but trying to push weight over reps at the moment. Also trying to gain weight(in muscle) which means eating when I don't feel like it, more carbs, tons of protein and red meat.

This is my current work out although it has been slightly modified since I am trying to push weight over reps.
https://docs.google....f8M1bG2iTc/edit

View PostBenignDesign, on 26 October 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

For those who do not follow my Facebook and/or Twitter...

Twelve days ago, my 10-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. As she was lying in the hospital - her eyes glassy, her face ruddy, tubes pumping things into her little body, coming to terms with her prescribed regimen of six injections daily - I promised her that we would conquer this "together".

So now I'm on the fucking diabetic diet.

But I have dropped a full pant size in 12 days! :bananaman:

Props to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

Is it nicer to work out if you have a bigger frame of body? My friends tell me if I worked out(that's a big if) I'd be nicely muscled. Why can't the thin ones work out instantaneously, not fill themselves up first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

Damn, that's rough, B9, good luck dealing with that- what's this 'diabetic diet'? Also, possibly of interest (although it's a little bit hard-core), Neal Barnard has some books and a variety of videos out (and scientific studies to back it up) where he has effectively cured diabetes, both type I and type II, using a pretty hard-core vegan diet with very low fat. It's certainly not for everyone, but the people that have done it who have had diabetes effectively can't be diagnosed as diabetic when they're on this diet.

On topic: I'm getting over a foot injury so I'm walking (carrying my son) daily and doing some yoga/stretching daily right now, but that's about it, and it's not nearly enough. Diet has somewhat improved, though, eating less processed foods and more veggies than I was 6 months ago, so at least there's a bit of improvement there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

I'm going to be spending a month over Christmas and New Year in Southern Spain with some mates climbing, so I'm trying to get in shape for that. I've been hitting the climbing wall four times a week for a couple of hours each time, plus as it's round the corner from me, I sometimes pop in for a quick half hour usually to try a specific boulder problem while I've got the energy. I really need to get cycling to work again for more overall fitness though. I live about 7 miles from work, so it's a 14 mile round trip and it's super hilly. And I've got a motorbike that's (obviously) a lot quicker, and that means I can stay in bed a bit longer. And many other reasons why not to do it, especially now it's getting colder and wetter.

B9, sure loads of people have said this too, but best of luck. It's probably the best motivation to stick to a diet, even if it's not directly for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 26 October 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

I'm still on the "no lunch,more water" diet. It doesn't seem to work.

You shouldn't skip meals. Wherever you got that information is bullshit, you need to eat healthier and smaller portions not just cut out meals. Cutting out meals slows your metabolism meaning your body stores more fat to compensate for your lack of food.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

lol health. I just ate a massive trifle. My workout routine consists of walking to/from the bus stop on work days.

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 26 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 26 October 2011 - 02:45 AM, said:

Is it nicer to work out if you have a bigger frame of body? My friends tell me if I worked out(that's a big if) I'd be nicely muscled. Why can't the thin ones work out instantaneously, not fill themselves up first?

They can. In fact, they'd probably notice change faster, because a bigger person will be replacing fat with muscle so the changes wouldn't be evident as quickly.

View Poststayscrisp, on 26 October 2011 - 07:40 AM, said:

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 26 October 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

I'm still on the "no lunch,more water" diet. It doesn't seem to work.

You shouldn't skip meals. Wherever you got that information is bullshit, you need to eat healthier and smaller portions not just cut out meals. Cutting out meals slows your metabolism meaning your body stores more fat to compensate for your lack of food.

Calorie reduction = good for losing weight. Skipping entire meals is not. Good advice.

As for my fitness, I haven't been running a whole lot because I've been wary of shin splints. Bought some new shoes that should help with that. Another challenge has been the lack of daylight - if I don't do the outside workouts in the morning, I get home late enough that it's too dark to do anything (we don't really have any well lit outside areas where I'm staying)

My upper body strength is doing great - I've been able to increase the number and ease of pullups and chinups I can do over the past couple of months by doing supersets, and then negatives when I'm at a failure point.

I'd like to get some more cardio in to lose weight, but again I've been avoiding shin splints. I also attempted to restructure my workout in this down week (homeless until November 2nd) to include agility and jumping exercises. I can run pretty fast in a straight line for a couple of miles, but I'd also like some useful burst speed and the ability to jump higher.

My current plan:
do 200/400m repeats twice per week
swim for 20-30 minutes twice per week (same day as 200/400m repeats)

2-3 miles at "race pace" twice per week. I don't race any more, but between a 5 and 6 minute mile is good enough for that
superset same days as 2-3 mile days

Shuttle runs/obstacle course (build with cones), jumprope, vertical jump twice per week
supersets these days also

So I would probably do one of each above day, taking a one day break every three.
For those curious about my body weight supersets (they really have drastically improved my upper body strength):

Start with 10 pullups (I do chinups one day, pullups the next, which focus more on biceps and back, respectively)
10 regular pushups
10 situps
10 wide grip pushups
leg raises for 30 or more seconds
10 triangle pushups
10 double crunches
----short break
repeat as many times as possible (I usually stick to 6 or 7)

The pushups are getting easy, so I'm trying to find ways to keep them effective without overdoing it on the pullup parts.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »