how to upload the whole website including the database

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 9350 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2007 - 12:32 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

upload SQL database

Post icon  Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:03 AM

Hi everybody

i am working in a project for a company as my college project, before this project i was doing small websites and uploading them to the college server (without database).

now i have to create a database and include it in the web site then upload it.

my question is :

if i upload my web site to an externel server will it be already included the database???

or it will need some other requirments??

for example to have some special programs or something?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: upload SQL database

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: upload SQL database

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

It depends a bit.
If you have a sql database running on the webserver or on a seperate machine (with webhosters it is usualy on a seperate machine) then you will need to set up the table structure and fill them with data seperately.
Often this can be done from scripts.
So if you built your site in php, then you need to build a php script that creates the database, creates the tables, sets the rights, and finaly fills it with the data you need in there.
I do (strongly) suggest you first make sure your script can actualy connect to the database.

For this you need to find out where the database is located, what is its type, what are your credentials. You might want to contact the Admin of the server for these details.

By the way, its a bit odd that you do a project for a company, but host the stuff on a college server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

In a word "No".
Databases provide data to a web site. They are not part of the site itself.

If you are using an Access Database, or some other tiny database file, rather than a DBMS you could probably move it over to the server and set up a connector on the server.

If you are using a DBMS you will need to get into details of exporting, importing data and (again) setting up the connector or database driver.

This post has been edited by ajwsurfer: 24 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

View Postajwsurfer, on 27 Mar, 2007 - 10:26 AM, said:

In a word "NO".
Databases provide data to a web site. They are not part of the site itself.

If you are using an Access Database, or some other tiny database file, rather than a DMS you could probalby move it over to the server and set up a connector on the server.

If you are using a DMS you will need to get into details of exporting, importing data and (again) setting up the connector or database driver

Look up dupal on the web. The entire project is an SQL server providing content to the www.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

So you still have a process here.
Move all the pages over to the new server.
This is pretty straight forward.
Place the database on the new server.
If you are using an Access database, you can just move a single file.
If you are using MySQL you can do a complete or individual database backup to a taxt file. And just restore the database on the new server.

And finally, you will need to setup the database driver so that the web page can actually connect to the database. This is a function of the programming language that works in sync with the web server. HTML is not enough to do this. This can be setup as ODBC or from a different driver, but the driver does need to be setup and running on the machine that is accessing the database.

The database does not have to reside on the same machine however. Most DBMS (Database Management Systems) can be accessed across a network. So from that standpoint you can see that the DBMS is a server program itself and will need a client program (driver) to access it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1