The future of Action Script in the industy

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 6728 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2011 - 03:12 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

The future of Action Script in the industy

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

I just started working as a Game Programmer for casual games and is now working with ActionScript 3.0. I want to discuss about the future of the industry and whether I should continue working is Actionscript or jump to another platform with some people who really know how things happen. Please do reply to my post. Thankyou in advance!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The future of Action Script in the industy

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: The future of Action Script in the industy

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

People say that HTML5 will make products like Flash, Silverlight and to a lesser degree Unity obsolete, and these people are what I like to call "full of shit".

HTML5 is being offered up as a magic bullet, but it is being horrifically slow to actually be adopted, the spec is a moving target, the performance simply isn't there (yet) and to the best of my current knowledge, there is no DRM support, which is a big gotcha.

So, if this is your concern, do not sweat it, HTML taking over the world is many many many moons away. Eventually products like Flash will be obsoleted, as is the way with almost all tech, but that day isn't any time soon.

That said, if it were me personally, I would branch beyond Flash/AS. I simply do not like tying myself to a single vendor's whims like that. Had C# not had Mono, I would probably feel pretty similar about it.

This post has been edited by Serapth: 26 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

View Postjohnjohan1, on 26 October 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

I just started working as a Game Programmer for casual games and is now working with ActionScript 3.0. I want to discuss about the future of the industry and whether I should continue working is Actionscript or jump to another platform with some people who really know how things happen. Please do reply to my post. Thankyou in advance!

Welcome to the industry! :smartass:

It really depends on where you want to go. ActionScript will not get you a console programming job, but will keep you (I guess) in the casual games market. What other languages do you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

@ButchDean: Well, basically just the basics in Java and C. Little UNIX also. None of that is industry standard though. And even flash, since we're working withing our framework, I'm not all that confident. Maybe I should start a little android training by myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:47 AM

@Serapth : Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I'm really interested in doing creative work. That's what drew me towards the gaming industry. I realized my passion towards such creative work too late. Very often I've felt that I should have gone for architecture or interior design rather than engineering. Now however, I'm enjoying my work in the industry, but I'm tensed about the future staying here. The pay is not as great as that of a programmer coding lame boring applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Don't worry about your tool set. Worry about knowing how to use it.

None of the concepts in ActionScript, or any language, are unique. For game programming, the rules are understood and consistent no matter what tool you use. A twenty your old book on 3D graphics is probably just as useful today, at least the theory part. View ports, clipping planes, polygons, etc. The code, if not the computer, would probably be an historical foot note.

If you understand the how and why of what you're doing, you should be able to do it anywhere. You will have to change your tools; either willingly or under protest. It's not an if, but a when. Enjoy playing with the new toys and you'll be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 28 October 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Don't worry about your tool set. Worry about knowing how to use it.

None of the concepts in ActionScript, or any language, are unique. For game programming, the rules are understood and consistent no matter what tool you use. A twenty your old book on 3D graphics is probably just as useful today, at least the theory part. View ports, clipping planes, polygons, etc.

Not quite! 3D graphics programming goes way beyond the basic theory from years ago, with the most obvious transition being that from the fixed function pipeline (more low-level graphics programming, to the modern powerful shader languages that abstract the graphics hardware platform. Bump mapping, bloom, environment mapping, etc. all introduce their own study for fantastic 3D environments that weren't around 20 years ago. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostButchDean, on 28 October 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

3D graphics programming goes way beyond the basic theory from years ago

Granted. The point was that the understanding of the fundamental elements involved is transferable and provides a foundation for what shows up in the future. It is of great benefit to understand the elements of rendering in 3D space, even if shiny new toys do so much work for you.

I kind of knew you were going to jump on that one. :P

You know our C++ forum. For the most part, the questions, problems, and answers haven't changed in a few decades. Hell, in C people still write in C89 because many compilers never bothered implementing anything newer than that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 28 October 2011 - 10:10 PM, said:

I kind of knew you were going to jump on that one. :P

Oh, I'll let you off baavgai. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have an option to jump to mobile platforms. iOS & Android mostly. Crossroads with no signboards. Sigh :helpsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

With the introduction of FP11 and it's "3D" capabilities actionscript is getting a lot stronger. Check out the starling 3D framework and the demos on the site. Flash is pretty much everywhere which is why it's so popular and until something else can have the same ubiquitousness it will stay relevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

Check out this game.

http://www.bigfishga...tion/index.html

I am cracking my head over how they've implemented the screen scrolling feature. I don't know if it's flash because of the amazing performance.

http://www.bigfishga...pter/index.html

Check out this game too if you've the time. This one was done at my company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Neither of those games are flash :online2long: when was the last time you had to download 185mb to play a flash game! Both those games are desktop applications not web. Surely you must know this considering you are working at these companies.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

these are casual games developed using action script...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

If you could spare 185mb for a game probably don't use Actionscript. Why not try C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +