5 Replies - 1397 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

partition windows 7 and ubuntu dual boot

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hello I am having a problem with booting. I have whiped my harddrive and created a couple of partitions for windows 7 and ubuntu. Now I can boot into windows, but not into ubuntu. I used a program called EasyBSD and used grub to boot into ubuntu and hoping this would solve the problem. I was now able to boot into ubuntu, but not into windows. I put my windows cd in and fixed this so now it boots into windows 7 so I only have access to windows 7. What do I have to do to be able to boot into both?

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: partition windows 7 and ubuntu dual boot

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: partition windows 7 and ubuntu dual boot

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

You'll have to be much more explicit about exactly how you installed ubuntu and exactly what happens when you try to boot. But this isn't "computer science" -- it's just Linux installation. Ubuntu Forums would be a better place to find help with this problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

sorry I didn;y know where to place the topic because its linux , windows, booting.This was my first time partitioning anything. So with a live cd using ubuntu I used gparted and whipped my entire harddrive. I then made 3 partitions, one ntfs for windows, one ext4 for linux and the third is just swap space for linux. I then installed windows 7 on the ntfs partition and everything worked fine. I then using the live usb installed ubuntu on the other partition. Now I was only able to boot into ubuntu, not windows. So after trying to boot into windows and not being able to I found out if you put the windows cd in windows will repair itself and I was able to boot into windows, but not into ubuntu anymore. I downloaded a program called easyBSD and added an entry for ubuntu using grub2. WHen I turn on the computer it says Windows 7 and Ubuntu options. Windows 7 works great, but ubuntu when I click it says error cant find file nst/nst_linux.mar can't be located.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Moved to Computer Support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have found the answer incase anyone is interested. Very stupid mistake. for ubuntu to work with easyBSD you must set ubuntu to use grub 2, BUT ALSO in the settings you must choose in the advanced settings for it to use the local /boot and not the c:/ drive.
Hope this helps someone later
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

Great that you post your solution. For that I give you a + remark! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1