Hi, i'm Dan. New to the programming world!

i''m a new starter at programming. i need to develop my skills

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 605 Views - Last Post: 25 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi, i'm Dan. New to the programming world!

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

Post my code like this

i don't have any yet. that's why i'm here, introducing myself 
??

I've just started learning programmin with c++
i didn't really know where a good place to start was but this seems understandable enough.
My name is Daniel i'm a student currently in my last year of sixth form and soon to be moving onto university doing a course in intelligent product design.
usually courses like that require you to have done programming or similar actually in school or college. luckily i had enough skills in the rest of it for him to make me an offer, but he said the programming ability is rare in people of a young age and so don't let that go, we can use it when you get here blah blah blah.
i had starting learning c++ for a hobby so there was no real urgency in it but now i feel like i must be a competant programmer by september. i think the books i have and the internet info is ok, but to really enjoy something you have to have friends who can help you. this is where dream in code comes in.
i'd like to find a few good people out there willing to help turn a newbie into a pro as fast as possible.
there are a few questions i feel i have to ask here because i'll sound stupid jumping straight into the deep end with them.

first, i know how to write small programs, like hello world, and things that play with numbers a bit and the complexity, i know, will grow. But, once i've written a program in c++ how do i get it to run outside of my compiler? that is the one i got with the book.
i'm sure this seems like such a stupid question to you all but you gotta ask or you won't know right?

Next, is perhaps more complicated and maybe not as relevant but,,, Say i'm designing a product, this is a glove for example. This glove senses different textures and relates them to the mood the wearer gets when touching it by measuring heart rate etc... i can see how the program can be made to pair information up like that to give a range of possibilities, but how do you get the hardware you need to understand the language you know and write in it?

i guess i'm on such a basic level i don't know what's what but any info or books or websites with any relevat information would be greatly appreciated. i look forward to talking to you masterful programmers very soon.

This post has been edited by graphic_prodigy: 21 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi, i'm Dan. New to the programming world!

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi, i'm Dan. New to the programming world!

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

you will want to ask those questions people will answer in their respective forums, such as the C/C++ forum. when i compile code, it will be sent to a location on the hard drive to be saved, you just need to know where that location is. we have a book thread going so you want to check that out.

decent intro, what is your major?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

View PosteLliDKraM, on 21 Mar, 2007 - 07:37 AM, said:

you will want to ask those questions people will answer in their respective forums, such as the C/C++ forum. when i compile code, it will be sent to a location on the hard drive to be saved, you just need to know where that location is. we have a book thread going so you want to check that out.

decent intro, what is your major?

i didn't mean to quote all this but i'm here now.
if i try to run a program i compiled from the command prompt it doesn't work.. why? i've posted it in the c++ bit but ...

my major??
that's like an american thing right? i don't think we have minors and majors here, i'll soon find out. at the moment i'm studying Physics that's the advanced stuff like particle accelerators, quantum mechanics, fission fusion blah blah blah not the baby stuff, not meaning to sound big headed but some people think all science is the same and don't expect any of what i've mentioned actually to be taught in schools. my mum and dad actually thnought particle accelerators were sci fi n they don't have a clue what fission is. but yeah, that and Graphics Art which is fun, use a lot of flash for that. and product design, use Cad programs like pro desktop google sketch up and maya for that.

what about you, what do you do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to Dream in Code. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hey! Welcome to </dream.in.code>, I'll see you around the forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1