7 Replies - 2150 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

JavaScript Blog

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

I recently created a Javascript blog at http://joezimjs.com and was wondering if there was anything that I could do to help it out. I've gotten very little traffic outside or myself so I can't really track much.

Also, this may be a bit unrelated, but I'm looking for someone who might want to help add some more posts to my site as a secondary author. I know a big part of my site that's failing is the lack of content, which will eventually straighten itself out a bit, but I'd like to beef it up more quickly if possible.

Future ideas: Currently this is a Javascript blog, but I hope to evolve it to also include PHP, HTML, and CSS. Also, I hope to start some open source projects to create some Javascript/PHP libraries of some sort and move on to creating a sister site that sells Wordpress Templates (gotta make some money if I'm gonna be putting time into this and the ads don't seem to be doing anything).

So, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: JavaScript Blog

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: JavaScript Blog

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well when it comes to blogs, it really is all about the content. Unlike many other sites, blogs really need more relevant and awesome content because your visitors are going to keep coming back to read and learn. So I would suggest not really focusing on the traffic so much at the moment as I would focus on the content quality and quantity. Once you really build up a library of great articles, then you can go about focusing on traffic with SEO being my first stop.

Make sure each article has popular power words (words that someone would most likely search on) and keep the page clean of a lot of distracting ads so that Google will love to eat it up and index it.

In the end what is going to get your site rocking is people liking the content, finding it useful and then wanting to come back to read more.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

I am liking the content so far. Keep it coming!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Martyr. I realize that content is king, and I'm definitely working toward making each post better than the last. The problem is that without traffic, content is just for me. I realize that traffic will increase as the site's content stack increases but if I can get subscribers now, then I'll have more people seeing the new content, which means more people spreading the news via social media, which'll bring more subscribers, and so on. So I'd rather not put that part off, but, like I said, I do understand the need for good content, which brings me back to my request for a blogger/author. I don't really have the time to write content more than once or twice a month, and I don't think people will follow a site that doesn't update at least once a week unless it has amazing content.

So if anyone is willing to write something about Javascript a couple times a month, I'd love to bring you on as an author.

Thanks Shane for the compliment. Did you read the Securing Javascript post? Google Analytics says that's the only page that was viewed for more than a minute by anyone coming from DIC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

If anyone else would like to provide some input, please do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

My final bump. No more takers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

I see many people using dark backgrounds for blogs, the issue with this is that people generally go there to read. Reading grey text on a black or very dark background is aweful when you read quite a bit. Saying that, if you are going for the grey look there are some ways to get the look without the problems of eyesight. Perhaps use a lighter grey for text backgrounds and implement a dark background behind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostDaneAU, on 31 December 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

I see many people using dark backgrounds for blogs, the issue with this is that people generally go there to read. Reading grey text on a black or very dark background is aweful when you read quite a bit. Saying that, if you are going for the grey look there are some ways to get the look without the problems of eyesight. Perhaps use a lighter grey for text backgrounds and implement a dark background behind.

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm using the default TwentyEleven theme included with Wordpress, but I decided to use the dark theme for it because that makes it less recognizable (because few actually use the dark theme or even know it's there). I also just wanted to get it done and get out there for people to read and take care of the more important things. However, I do agree with you. In the near future I'll have to futz around with it a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1