• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 4238 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bored!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hey Guys,

So this september I enrolled on a programming course at college in UK. I thought that it would help to formalise the languages that I have taught myself and fill any gaps in my knowledge. But I am already quite competent with C#, C++, HTML, CSS and PHP. As of yet we have only written 1 program in Visual Basic that adds two numbers together (exiting stuff) and in the rest of class we are just talking about code styles, readability of code, psudo code, website design, databases etc. Is this really the best that the so called hardest IT course that my college offers can provide? And WTF has Digital Graphics, Communication and Employability, and spreadsheet modeling got to do with Software Development?

I have taken up the fact with my tutors that I know all of this stuff, and am bored senseless in there classes. About 1/2 of them don't seem to care and are happy for me to bore my self senseless and browse about the net all lesson and the other 1/2 of them keep telling me it will get better soon. The thing is though that I dont thing it will, a few of my class mates have a brain; but still dont seem to be at my level (not trying me trying to boast, just my thoughts) and the rest of them are really quite dumb (sorry to say it but it seems true). This is the first time that some of them have seen HTML, and dont know how to use a relational database.

What can I do?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bored!

#2 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Bored!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

is there any tests that allow you to get credit for the class withotu taking them? That way you can take a more advance course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

View PostGhostfly, on 02 November 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

is there any tests that allow you to get credit for the class withotu taking them? That way you can take a more advance course.

No, this is the most advanced class that is offered by the college, and surrounding colleges don't offer any sort of programming courses. And the course is all coursework based no exams.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

So who's keeping you from pursing your own self-teaching in addition to the course material? Look around DIC and you'll find dozens of threads about how the colleges are more interested in keeping you there for 4 years of tuition that in actually teaching you.

So pick up a book and teach yourself.

And WTF has Digital Graphics, Communication and Employability, and spreadsheet modeling got to do with Software Development?

It has a lot to do with it if you are writing software in those fields. When you are doing all the work yourself, including designing the GUI, it can be pretty handing to have a basis in graphics. If, like me, your area of coding is *for* cameras and graphics software then it is paramount. Lots of jobs are about interpreting the spreadsheets supplied by others. Data makes the world go 'round. Spreadsheets mean money. And that's the real business you are in: Making money, not making software.
Read this article:
http://www.dreaminco...-career-advice/

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Oct 2011
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Welcome to UK education, sounds like you did the same sort of course i did. I bet they have a IT business course running along side yours, only difference is that this is one module different from the business version. I didn't learn anything over the 2 years through college, just stuck at it for the paper work at the end. Spend most my time doing my own programming and helping other people in the class.

I suggest sticking at it, having the qualification will be useful if you're thinking about going to university (Which i wouldn't suggest to do, unless you're doing a highly rated course). You should look for places to do work experience around your area. E.g. If you would want to do web development look for a designer who needs sites coding etc. Helps open up new options for you and also get some extra cash on the side.

Thanks,
Tom

This post has been edited by FliP1992: 02 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

English is also a good place to spend some effort.
No really. It's a tough global economy. The employers have the upper hand. They can pick and choose. They can offer below reasonable pay rates and people would rather have low wages than no wages.

If your resume shows a lack of basic English skills your prospective employer may choose the resume that has the same schooling but without the problems.

Interviewers, managers, HR people don't want to have to teach their employees how to communicate with each other and with customers. They also don't want their employees' lack of communication skills to reflect badly on the company.

When employees don't know the difference between you're and your (as we see in the post above), to, two and too etc. it shows they didn't gain much from their schooling. If they didn't learn from English class, why would the interviewer think they did any better in a complex science like programming?

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 02 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

It's college, the same place that people go to learn hair dressing and beauty therapy etc, what did you really expect?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Take math classes. Lots of math. It's really good for problem solving. Beyond your standard Calculus courses, take Discrete Math to start with. If that goes well, look at similar type courses like Combinatorics, Number Theory, or Graph Theory. A lot of this math is used in upper-level CS courses.

The other option to look at is testing out of the course or dropping it (though it might be a little late in the semester). If you don't need these types of courses in the future, don't take them. To be honest, I've never gotten that much out of any programming class myself, even when I've had an awesome teacher.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

POPULAR

Really FliP1992 ?

Attached Image

I kinda wondered how you would respond. But then I said to myself, "Naaaaw. He's 19. He's not going to be childish or petty about someone pointing out he doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'. "

You went back and fixed it. So "you're welcome" for pointing out the typos. But you just had to toss in a little vengeful dig while you were at it, eh? Honestly, I don't care about a point. It really doesn't affect me or change my ability to go to sleep tonight. But it does make a statement about how you handle even the tiniest of constructive criticisms.

Dude, it was just a common and convenient example for something that is a good piece of genuine advice. It's possible you've been in a position of having to weed through candidates and stacks of resumes. If not, let me tell you from experience how it tends to work.

• You have 1-2 job postings.
  • You receive 200-2,000 resumes.
  • You get a BIG can of Red Bull because it's going to be a long day.
  • You start looking through the resumes to sift out qualified from posers.
  • You try to rank them by any criteria you can to prioritize the interviews because you want the most likely candidates to be interviewed first. That way if someone can be found by the 10th interview instead of the 1,010th interview it saves a lot of time and a lot of company money.
  • You have 1,500 recent grads like yourself who are all 19-22 years old. Very little work experience in the field; if any at all. So they look the same on paper. So what do you rank by? Grades... Who took classes that indicate they like to be challenged versus looking for an easy A/degree... Who has healthier hobbies to indicate they might not take as many sick days... Who lives the closest so they will have less occurances of being late to work... quality of how they express themselves... Who can form a sentence above an 8th grade level... who is married because statistically they are more stable and not coming in to work with a hangover as often...

By 3 in the afternoon you're looking for ANY reason to rank one piece of paper just a little higher than the other 1,499 on your desk.

You can accept it or not, but its a simple fact of the world. You know as well as I do that employers now even run your credit report because they want to see who is so in debt as to be a financial risk or candidate for in-house theft or even competitor company espionage.

Employers even go through the Facebook pages of applicants to see if they have 'issues' that the company doesn't want to deal with... show a vengeful side by bragging about what they did to the last company that fired them, or girlfriend that dumped them...

If you've decided to list all those coding forums you help out on (like this one), or your website for all the content it has you can be sure they will look at that too. They'll make a point of checking all the details and see what the quality of your work is because its the best example they have of your work. And web pages or posts that have simple, grade school problems are NOT going to push your ranking to the top of the tall stack of resumes.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

@tlhIn`toq

I presumed you may have been having a bad day. Sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

Actually I'm having a great day. But thanks for the concern.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 02 November 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Employers even go through the Facebook pages of applicants to see if they have 'issues' that the company doesn't want to deal with... show a vengeful side by bragging about what they did to the last company that fired them, or girlfriend that dumped them...

A little advice from the real world. If you get hired as the new IT guy, don't talk about searching for another job on Facebook. A guy we hired in the spring was talking about his interviews on his page. He talked about how much he hated it here. He talked about how excited he was to get a job offer somewhere else. The boss knew several days before he quit that he was going to quit. The hint I have is that chances are good other people in the IT field may be familiar with the whole internet thing and may read what you post there.

He also quit like the little shit moron he is. He clocked out like any other day. He walked out to the parking lot. He sat in his car and composed his "I quit..." email and sent it. We never saw him again. It was too much work to say it face to face to the boss (who is an easy going boss who really didn't care that much, she knows it's an entry level shit job) whose office he had to pass on the way out. And whose office faces the parking lot where she could see him sitting in the car typing on the phone.
[/ot]

Don't you dare get anything less than an A+ (I don't know the metric conversion for you Brits). I was bored in my Java class. I had already taken C++, yet Java I started out explaining OOP. It only did command line programs. The only thing the class was teaching me was the syntax, which could be found online. We were given the optional extra credit of writing a program that would simulate the rolling of dice. All that was required was to teach yourself how to get a random number between 1 and 6. I was the only one to attempt it, even though I was the only above a B. I studied the JavaDocs and wrote a full graphical Yahtzee game. It met the qualifications of the assignment, but kept me busy writing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

So I was wondering how people can see your Facebook if you have it set to private?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

The guy that can't figure out that we may look at Facebook can't figure out that having it set to private is a good idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +