4 Replies - 3587 Views - Last Post: 03 November 2011 - 08:54 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Can't find the actual source code :-(

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure how much - or if at all - you'll be able to assist me with this problem, but it's confusing me a lot so I thought I may as well ask.

Basically, on one of our servers we have a piece of software called BKSB running, which uses ASP.NET and such. I need to have a look at some of the source code, which you'd think would be simple, but for the life of me I can't work out where it is..

All the .aspx, .css, .js, etc... files are in a directory called bksb_portal, and if I go into one as an example, at the top it tells me where the codebehind is:

<%@ Page Language="VB" EnableEventValidation="false" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="bksbWebPortalSolution.Player"
    CodeBehind="Player.aspx.vb" %>

But I just cannot work out where these files would be.. They are not in the same directory, they are not in App_Data. I've even searched all the disc drives on the server for .vb extensions, and nothing...

So my question is this:

Is there a way I can find out the full path to the actual source code anywhere?

I've had a look through as much as I can find, such as web.config, clientSettings.config, global.asax, etc... But I just cannot find where on earth it is loading these files from. But they must be somewhere or the software wouldn't work :/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can't find the actual source code :-(

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can't find the actual source code :-(

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

It's probably a reference in your bin folder or in the project's reference folder.... though by the look of the company you won't be finding the source code anytime soon.. you might want to ask them.

http://www.bksb.co.uk/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

When a ASP.Net website is published, the source code isn't published with it. So you won't be able to find the source code.

In the 'bin' directory, you should find some .dll files. Using Reflector(or another .Net decompiler), you can view the code that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

I found them eventually, in a temporary files folder, with file names that made no sense whatsoever. -_-

Well..I found the .vb files anyway, though they still don't seem to contain any of the actual code logic, so bugger knows where that is.

This post has been edited by Duckington: 03 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Aha, dotPeek decompiler seems to have helped.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1