4 Replies - 445 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2011 - 06:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Realistic map management

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi there,

I see that there is a question which is similar to mine that had been asked recently, but it doesn't fit my needs.

I have a very realistic map of a mythical modern city and I would like to know how you would manage the movements on it for a php game (resource management game).
I tried to use google map with my custom tiles and it works fine but it's just an image with no constraints on the paths a player can follow.
Basically, you move a marker wherever you want and...you are there. Not ideal.
I went to photoshop and created a grid (squares AND hex's) to see how it would look like but the roads on the map have too complex angles to allow these kind of divisions.

So I'm stuck.
I know wargames use rulers but wargames take place on open fields, not cities which look like mazes.
I plan to work with php but my question could apply to any type of development, even a board game (as long as the board has the size and the shape of a genuine modern city).

So? Any idea on how to manage player movements on this kind of map?

Sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue.

Regards.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Realistic map management

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Realistic map management

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Well there are several issues that make your question impossible to answer:

1. What is a "very realistic map of a mythical modern city"? If it's realistic how can it be 'mythical'?
2. Are you sure that php is even remotely capable to use to create the game you are trying to achieve?
3. What is a 'marker' and where is 'there'?
4. We need to know how the player moves in order to know how to manage the movements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

1) My english is not perfect but I'm pretty sure there's a difference between "real" and "realistic".
The first one is related to something that exists and the second is related to something that looks like it exists.
A realistic AND mythical map makes sense then and in my case its's related to "Gotham City".
It's a myth but based upon real north american cities.
You won't find the city on Google Earth but mine could have been there somewhere as it is very detailed, streets by streets, with railroads, parks, buildings, cemeteries, stadiums, arenas, shops, schools, police stations, prison, asylum etc...
My map in its whole is something like 16000x16000 pixels.

2) Yes, PHP is completely capable of creating this kind of game.
Of course, for displaying the map, markers etc.., there should be a little help from javascript and httprequest but for the movements and events management, php is all that is needed. As I said it's a resource management type of game, nor a Real Time/3D stuff.
I can take care of the display, my question is mainly structural. What I'm looking for is a system. An effective way to rationalize a realistic map and make players move on it in a coherent way. A way I could afterwards translate into a php algorithm for management.

3) Markers are like your pawns on a boardgame. They tell you about the location and nature of something. A "Fool" on a chessboard has a location and a type->It's a marker. An icon of a shelter on a map is a marker too.

4) A player moves from any place of the map to any other place as long as the path is free and until he is blocked by something on his way. The movement capability of a player depends on variables such as: his velocity, his strength/weakness, if he is carrying something, if he's alone or part of a squad, if he's on foot or motorized etc...
His movement are constrained to the roads mostly. The shorter way from a place to another is the one the player can make efficiently without hitting is head on a wall. Most of the time, it consists on using roads, streets and avenues. The ones I designed on the map.
But I don't think the players moves are relevant to the way I should organize the map. a Chess board is divided into squares, there is still an infinity of players moves you can create on such a board. No need to know the movements capability to create the board structure but there is a need of knowing the board structure to create the movements capability. So first thing first.
The only thing that may help you (so,me) is to think how to put into a system something that is as close as possible to real person wandering in a big city, but in a boardgame.

I hope it answers your questions and that it will help you answer mine.

Regards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

up?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -