10 Replies - 701 Views - Last Post: 03 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

So what is the real difference?

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Between AMD and Intel processors? I don't want links to the home pages of these since they would be biased on their own products.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So what is the real difference?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So what is the real difference?

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Intel processors usually offer more performance, but you have to pay premium for it.

AMD processors offer less performance, but are a lot cheaper.

Intel also seem to put some kind of black magic into their products to make them faster than all the equivalent rivals.

To be honest it all depends on what you do. Some people say that Intel is always faster than AMD, but it's not true. On certain things (ok not much) Intel sucks and vice versa. Theres not really much difference at all. After all a processor is just a processor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

Ones a semiconductor chip manufacturing company founded 1968 and located in Santa Clara, CA and with auxiliary facilities all over the world. The other is a semiconductor chip manufacturing company founded in 1969 and located in Sunnydale, CA and with auxiliary facilities all over the world who also has recently became owner of ATI and the ATI line of graphics cards.

AMD hit its modern stride in the 96 when they started manufacturing x86-like chips that could run code compiled for the then dominant intel x86 chips, becoming a direct competitor with Intel in the home PC market.

Really your question is shallow. Intel and AMD both make several lines of products of varying quality, of which some compete and others don't. Never mind the defunct products that used to compete that may have contrasted differently in quality.

Now if you came in and asked for a comparison of say an intel i7 series chip vs say an AMD FX chip... then maybe we could give a reasonable comparison.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Was just looking for a generalization such as if you compare Chevy and Ford as a whole. I know both manufacturers offer cars of different levels but there is a noticeable difference in the overall company product quality.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

There is?

As far as I've noticed, there is an overall subjective opinion about Ford vs Chevy. And when people start debating their opinions on the matter, it comes down to "well this model is awesome", "yeah but this other model is even more awesome".

Now yes, we could go into the entire history of Intel, and directly compare it to AMD. Just like we could with Ford vs Chevy. And attempt to create an unbiased chart betweent he two. But that large broad explanation is far out of the scope of a forum thread, and already exists as historical analysis of the two out there on the internet just a quick google search away.

Just make sure you don't google about "which is better", because that there son, that's called opinion.

Of course if you want opinions from us, that's fine and dandy. Just ask for it. But I'm fairly certain you're going to get a pretty even cut of Intel lovers to AMD lovers for various reasons... of which several may even contradict one another.

But you said you didn't want links to each respective web-page because they are biased. So you don't want bias... you don't want opinions. So srsly consider your question. You didn't ask to compare any specific of the companies. The question of Intel vs AMD... what are you actually asking?

Who is nicer to their employees
Who pays better
Who has invented more technological advancements
Who has more philanthropic ventures
Which has a better product in performance processor class
Which has a better product in the mid-range processor class
Which has a better product in the economy processor class
... embedded class
... low-power netbook directed class
... GPU integrated class
all of those permeated with better/affordable/efficient/longevity/derpaderp...
Who R&Ds more for the none consumer grade product lines (space/military/etc)
Who has lemonade served in their cafeteria...
Do any come with a free hand-job on every 3rd friday of months ending in 'y'

what is it you want to know!?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Which has a better product in performance processor class
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Intel's best is still unrivaled by AMD, but you can find more bang for your buck in the areas that AMD is competitive in. This is overgeneralized and should not be taken as scientific fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

so which one is the best at running without being overclocked? And which one will last the longest as well as which one doesn't burn up?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Which one had a failed floating point integer that would crash... just saying.

View PostGhostfly, on 03 November 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

so which one is the best at running without being overclocked? And which one will last the longest as well as which one doesn't burn up?

The answers would be based on the processing environment. I mean I don't know which is better, I'm not going to bs like I do. But anything you read online isn't going to be specked for the temperature of your computer room, the games or software you play.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

"best" is subjective and for the individual to decide. first you must define what your parameters for success are and then you can decide which is "the best."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

All the answers here say the same thing. Both makes of processor are good (or possibly just similarly bad). Asking the question in different ways isn't going to change that.

What are you trying to do?

Buy a computer?
You need to decide a budget and get the best parts you can. If you're like me, the choice is a pre-made package from some manufacturer. Get a shortlist together and come back for help. If you're going to build it yourself you have more freedom. Put together a spec and post it here, possibly with some alternatives where you're not sure what component is best. You will have more to consider than just the processor.

Do homework?
Google for some opinions. They should flow freely. Next try and get some figures. MHz per $ would be a starting point but I'm sure you can think of more. Summarise the lot, note where evidence conflicts and draw your own conclusion.

Start a rival company?
If you need to ask this, you're in the wrong business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1