An oldie topic I forgot I had book marked. A great place if you are starting out, or the curb any existing bad habits!
Getting started in PHP can be a daunting experience. With that in mind, these 20 tips will teach you how to follow best practices, and save lives…kitty lives.
- Program as Often as You Possibly Can
- Get Familiar with the PHP Manual
- Read the Comments!
- Take Advantage of the Huge Online PHP Community
- Don't Put Off Best Practices for Later
- Don't Put Off Best Practices for Later!
- Make Code Self-Documenting
- Add a Comment to Anything You Had to Think About
- Learn Docblock and Use It
- Don't Be Too Hardcore to Use an IDE
- Group Common Code Into Functions
- Group Related Functions Into Classes
- Use Constants, Not Globals
- Don't Be Afraid to Use Includes
- Don't Obsess Over Performance
- Avoid Marrying HTML to Your Scripts
- Try to Use at Least One Unfamiliar Concept in Every Project
- Don't Be Too Proud to Change
- Whitelists Instead of Blacklists