5 Replies - 817 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

About C++/Assembly Jobs

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi guys,

I was thinking about, is there jobs of C++ or Assembly nowadays?

I ask this because I really like those two languages, but in my Country(Brazil) there's NO opportunities for those professionals, and when it appears, it's for seniors with at least 5 years of experience, I'm 20 years old and I have no professional experience, I'm worried about that because I'm"forced" to learn a similar language( C# ) to "survive".

This is just here or everywhere?

Thank you.

Willdvp

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: About C++/Assembly Jobs

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: About C++/Assembly Jobs

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Have you checked out dice.com? They have a pretty varied assembly language subsection.

Side question - what's wrong with picking up another language if that gets you paid and building IT experience?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

There's still quite a few jobs here in the states for that. But it's not in the RAD/Business software fields. And yes the positions usually expect a bit of experience.

Even though you may like C++ and the sort, you should definitely spread out and get a good knowledge in the high level as well. This can help you get experience in the field, but you can continue coding in C++ on your own projects or on open-source projects.

Assembly isn't a commonly asked for skill. Maybe the embedded markets sometimes, but something higher level like C is usually used instead. Assembly is more of a gold start now a days.

Of course niches exist in all sorts of areas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

I'm no expert but the opportunities are where the manufacturers are - for anything. I doubt there are a lot of automobile engine design work there either because there aren't a lot of car makers in Brazil. For that you probably need to go to Detroit or Germany once you have experience. But might have to start out in some low-end car company just to build your reputation. You wouldn't expect to start at Mercedes for Porche.

If you want to do assembly, then you have to find someone who makes things that use assembly. I'm guessing that is mostly drivers for hardware, embedded device makers and so on. You say you like the language: You tell me, who uses it nowadays? Medical equipment makers? Embedded security systems? DVD players?

As for getting jobs when you are 20 with no professional experience... Well that's just the nature of the world and always has been. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up. This thread has some pretty frank statements about job hunting in todays world. But the simple fact is that its a crappy global economy. Why would an employer want a student when they can get an experienced person for nearly the same money? There are plenty of unemployed experienced people that would rather have low wages than no wages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

I'm Brazilian too and I have the same thoughts.
I would love to work with C++. I'm working with C# nowadays and I know as well a little bit of Java.

From what I've seem around here there are mainly two kind of jobs in the software development field: really old systems written in languages like delphi or cobol and systems mostly web written in a .NET language or Java with big frameworks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

modi123_1: There's nothing wrong, but I program in C since my 12 years old, and for somethings, I "GUESS" that C# is not the appropriate language, for example, to develop a antivirus, in my opinion it's necessary C or assembly(or C++), because I need low-level control, for example to write a driver in kernel mode.

lordofduct: you are right, but here at my location, there's no opportunitie to begin and get some experience, and the economy force me to get employed as soon as possible, my mom won't support for so long :B

tlhIn`toq: I guess that these opportunities(Medical equipment makers; Embedded security systems; DVD players...) here in Brazil is announced only internally, I did never seen one of these

anonymouscodder: exactly, in my point of view, the companies only think that they need web applications, most of them in asp.net and java.

Tell me one thing, if all companies are hiring .net/java professionals( and they pay good for that ), who will learn assembly/C/C++?

I don't know exactly, but I guess that .net framework, windows/linux/bsd/solaris, firefox/ie.... are written in those languages.

Here the average salary for a C++ Senior Developer is ~2,500 dollars, and a C# Junior Developer is the same salary.

So there's no incentive to spend some time learn one of these languages.

It's not good. ( and sorry if what I say have no sense :B )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1