Home Server

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2346 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Home Server

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

I am curious if anyone has ever used a laptop to create a home server? If so was it as easy to use as a regular home server. If not, why?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Home Server

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Home Server

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

A laptop for a home server? I guess, sure, you could go that route, but it would seem to butt up against some of the primary reasons you would want non portable pc as a server.

reliability: for me it seems laptop bits have an issue of failing at inopportune times... the power connector goes up, screen runs a muck, over heating, etc..
faster data processing: laptops tend to throttle with power and activity.. why deal with underpowered processing?
minimal bottlenecks: again it goes back to general laptop cpus are not the best for the job.
scalable: with a desktop pc you can swap out bits and pieces faster and with greater variety than a laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

I did it for a long time. Used an laptop that was a couple years old as the living room media center computer. It served out video and other files... acted as the backup repository for other computers in the house and so on.

As modi pointed out you want to turn off all the power conservation BS. But on the positive side it has a built-in UPS of sorts which tends to add to the stability. Be sure to strip the OS and install a server OS and not much else.

If its an option make sure you are gigabit ethernet.

I later decided that the laptop was combersome for this need because if I needed to reboot it meant taking it out of the shelf and opening it to reach the power button on the keyboard. So I switched to an Asus eeePC. It and the external hard drives all attached to the wall nicely with velcro and were {mostly} hidden by the flatscreen.

Pictures:
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

I'm using a netbook as a media server and it has been working out great for me so far. I'm only doing audio which is all i really wanted, so it works for me. I have Windows 7 installed on it and I have a NAS that I use for storage and then I can connect to the netbook from my xbox to stream music and also use AudioGalaxy to allow me to stream all my music from my phone. That was my main goal and its working out great so far. I can't imagine stream video working that well though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Looks like a nice setup, tlhIn`toq, except that you have episodes of NCIS. I've watched several episodes of that show and I can honestly say that I hate every single character on that show. Each of their attitudes makes me want to stab them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

I can honestly say that I hate every single character on that show.

@Kilorn - and that is why I will never truly love you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Well, I can deal with the cute chick with black hair that works in the lab. She's tolerable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

View PostKilorn, on 09 November 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Looks like a nice setup, tlhIn`toq, except that you have episodes of NCIS. I've watched several episodes of that show and I can honestly say that I hate every single character on that show. Each of their attitudes makes me want to stab them.

To each their own. Some people love Southpark and 'My name is Earl', where I would rather be forced to masturbate with a cheese grater than to watch either.

The TV show directory has a vast assortment from the original Star Trek, Knight Rider, Battlestar to the re-imagined Star Trek, Knight Rider, Battlestar <laugh> - Topshot, NatGeo shows, Terra Nova, Benny Hill, Unforgettable, Burn Notice, Flashpoint, and about 100 others. There are shows that I've never watched like Supernatural stacked up just for a time when there is nothing worth watching or to take on the road when traveling.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

And a new Star Trek is under way
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Oh?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Star Trek 2-- look it up at comingsoon.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

View PostGhostfly, on 09 November 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

Star Trek 2-- look it up at comingsoon.net

Ok - So you're talking about the next movie, not a new TV series. Gotcha. That was always the deal as they signed three-picture contracts with most of the stars from the movie. It seems 3-picture deals are the norm now. And it won't be called Star Trek 2 as that's been done already.

Are they really going to do 21 Jumpstreet. Don't get me going (again) on how this generation can't seem to do much beyond 'reimagine' what we watched in the '80s.

There was a project for a new Star Trek 2 TV series before the first Motion Picture came out. They felt a new series wouldn't take off and adapted the script for the pilot into the movie.

Then there was a plan for a Star Trek: Academy TV series that would use 20-something versions of the Enterprise crew. But nobody seemed to get too excited about the prospect of "Star Trek: 90210"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

I never even got to see voyagers final episode and I loved that show. I also hated how they ended Enterprise. It seems just as shows really start to get good, they have their time slots changed, execs say look the ratings dropped and the shows are cancelled.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I would rather be forced to masturbate with a cheese grater

This sounds like a much better show for entertainment value than southpark or ncis.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 09 November 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I would rather be forced to masturbate with a cheese grater

This sounds like a much better show for entertainment value than southpark or ncis.

Comes from a line out of "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" with Andrew Dice Clay.

Ford Fairlane said:

Talking to her was like masturbating with a cheese grater: Mildly entertaining at first, but mostly just painful.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +