Friend thinks programming is copy pasting how to prove him wrong?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

43 Replies - 2256 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Friend thinks programming is copy pasting how to prove him wrong?

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

This is just some guy who's desperate to prove a point by splitting hairs and logic chopping. Boring.

Yes, you base your work on existing ideas. No, you don't start from scratch. Fine, if he thinks that is equivalent to saying "programming is just copying and pasting", then I suggest you just say "okay, fine, you win" and talk about something else. Like, for example, whether Beethoven ever wrote any music, or if he just rearranged other people's stuff, or whether Steven King is a novelist or just a guy with a pair of scissors and a good library. Or whether Metallica can be considered a Stravinsky cover band. Or take him to the exhibit of Degas' nudes at the MFA in Boston, so you can look at the vast differences between different artists painting almost identical subjects in almost identical poses with almost identical color schemes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

View PostInvisibledeath, on 09 November 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

That's what my friend said after reading this topic:

View PostAVReidy, on 08 November 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

Ask your friend to look up "Programming" in the dictionary. If it says, "The act of copyright infringement," then your friend probably has a case. Otherwise, ignore his attempt to push your buttons :bigsmile: .

But really, some aspects of programming are indistinguishable from copying and pasting. It's not like you designed the syntax for C++, so in that respect you are copying, but programming isn't just coding; it's thinking, applying, and building. Even if you were copying and pasting half of your code, as long as you're creating something creative and original with your own thought process, I'd say you're programming.

I'm sure a few houses in this world are created of virtually identical bricks, but that doesn't mean they have the same functionality in the structure.

This dude is almost right, but wrong about changing. FYI windows OS WAS 70 percent copy pasted and other part was changing the copy paste parts so they are to the programmers wish. For other example, when you learn programming from books and get a exercise, sometimes the all code is writen so you can copy paste it, or learn it and THEN copy paste it FROM your brain. And also video games are copy pasted, like moving mechanics and stuff, so YOU DON"T HAVE to write THE FULL code YOURSELF, which you could just copy, paste, change. So if you say that programming IS NOT copy pasting, you're pretty damn dumb for writing whole code by yourself and wasting lots of time.

I can conclude with confidence that your friend is ignorant and knows nothing of which he speaks.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 09 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

Man, carpentry is a bunch of copy-pasting other peoples work. It'd be rather stupid to re-learn how to configure the pieces of wood together, it's better to just copy paste the layout of a house from your head.

Nevermind all the copy pasting of the wood cuts that the lumber yard already did for you. No one cuts down trees anymore and constructs lumber on the spot right there when building.

Same goes for novelists, musicians (oh man, they copy paste the same song over and over each night at their shows), lawyers (copy pasting the same laws... jeez), and well just about every occupation.

There hasn't been a 100% pure original thought in well... eons!

This guy sounds like a "friend" of mine by the name of Brian. This fat bastard, arrogant, walking semantical debate factory. Twisting words as if if you 'call' something a word, then that thing becomes everything that word is associated with. I've basically just learned to laugh at them and say, "yep... oh how much have you blown on different schools and you STILL have the same labour job you had when you graduated highschool?"

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 09 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 09 November 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

There hasn't been a 100% pure original thought in well... eons!

Yeah, that's what I was just saying... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Does this mean that all math is copy and pasted? Most of us on here use the Arabic number system which originated in India and was spreaded by the Arabs. How about the concept of zero? Using stuff that's been taught to us and learning from it is copy and pasting? lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

By you friend's definition: unless you literally write everything in machine code* you are committing popularism. That is fucking retarded.

*Or do we have to write our own machine instructions in microcode as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

no, you need to reconstruct the entire computer hardware from silicon...

oh wait no, you have to first fuse the hydrogen into silicon

oh wait no, you have to first get protons and neutrons to coalesce into the first hydrogen atoms...

oh wait no, you have to first have to create enough heat to allow the energy to excite and form into matter...

oh wait no, you need to first have the big-bang...

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#38 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

OP - dump his phone number on here.. I would like to start up a queue of people who would explain why he is wrong. ;)

(no..no.. no.. don't put his phone number on here for real...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

better, put it up on /b/... they'll have lots of fun
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

That's what friend said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 November 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

There's a difference between copy and paste programming and using libraries and apis.

"Actualy There's NO difference at all."

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 November 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

This is just some guy who's desperate to prove a point by splitting hairs and logic chopping. Boring.

Yes, you base your work on existing ideas. No, you don't start from scratch. Fine, if he thinks that is equivalent to saying "programming is just copying and pasting", then I suggest you just say "okay, fine, you win" and talk about something else. Like, for example, whether Beethoven ever wrote any music, or if he just rearranged other people's stuff, or whether Steven King is a novelist or just a guy with a pair of scissors and a good library. Or whether Metallica can be considered a Stravinsky cover band. Or take him to the exhibit of Degas' nudes at the MFA in Boston, so you can look at the vast differences between different artists painting almost identical subjects in almost identical poses with almost identical color schemes.

" Programming and writing music or books is pretty damn different because you can improvise in many many different ways, and code is pretty much the same, just change sound, picture, values, and other stuff."

View Postlordofduct, on 09 November 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

no, you need to reconstruct the entire computer hardware from silicon...

oh wait no, you have to first fuse the hydrogen into silicon

oh wait no, you have to first get protons and neutrons to coalesce into the first hydrogen atoms...

oh wait no, you have to first have to create enough heat to allow the energy to excite and form into matter...

oh wait no, you need to first have the big-bang...

"Mostly everything is copy paste and remix of everything that was made before. But in programming you should use pieces of code that already exist and add your part and change it too, you think that I think that programming is stupid copy pasting, but what I'm saying, you do it all wrong by wasting time and rewriting (as in by hand instead of putting it all at once) what is already there."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

"Actualy There's NO difference at all."

Claim without a warrant. Come back when he has a real argument.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

" Programming and writing music or books is pretty damn different because you can improvise in many many different ways, and code is pretty much the same, just change sound, picture, values, and other stuff."

Like I said, if this is what your guy thinks then there's not much point in talking to him about it. He's convinced that he's right, he's not interested in having a discussion. Just smile and nod and change the subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#43 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

I agree... I'll take one more step and just close this. If this "friend" cares to pursue the topic he knows where to find the community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 November 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

Like I said, if this is what your guy thinks then there's not much point in talking to him about it. He's convinced that he's right, he's not interested in having a discussion. Just smile and nod and change the subject.

Describes every "argument" I have with my wife ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +