13 Replies - 488 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

#1 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

$%#$ Rant

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

So I coach hockey (9 and under) and we had a playoff game last night in which we lost. I don't mind that we lost but I do mind the way we lost. I have 8 kids on the team and after the game 5 were hurt or bleeding from being hurt. This is a NO checking league since they are just learning. During the game my players all but got mugged and after I confronted the ref about it after the 1st period, he said it is a play off game and I should expect this. So during the second period I had my kids start to dish it back and guess what -- most of that period we played down kids because they kept getting penalties for just getting the kids off of their backs after a hit. 3rd period rolls around and I asked the ref what was up? He goes, "you don't really think you guys would win did you?" This tells me that they planned this out and it angers me.

My team was not the best all season because unlike most of the other coaches, I showed every kid how to play every position but come playoffs I played the kids in their right positions. Saturday we had a playoff game and the other team thought they were going to roll us but to their suprise we blanked them out and we went from dead last in the playoffs to 5th out of 12 teams. Last night we played the so called best team and the league and as soon as we started getting in their end and doing an onslaught of shots on their goalie, our penalties started to appear. makes you wonder....

There is more things that made me angry but I am just gettign madder thinking about them...

MY RANT

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: $%#$ Rant

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: $%#$ Rant

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Humans are imperfect and corruptible. It's a fact of life that we all must deal with. The only thing you can really do is brush it off and explain to the kids that they all played incredibly well and should be proud of their accomplishment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

50% of me says "cool story bro"

the other 50% says "this is part of the reason i don't like sports"

and the other meta 50% of me says "you should pay the ref more than the other guy is"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

View PostKilorn, on 09 November 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

Humans are imperfect and corruptible. It's a fact of life that we all must deal with. The only thing you can really do is brush it off and explain to the kids that they all played incredibly well and should be proud of their accomplishment.

OH I did, brought a smile to their face.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I guess you actually could put in the effort to do some research on the referee and see if you can find out the reason he was partial to the other team. Once you have solid evidence, you could make a case with the appropriate authorities and spend x number of hours fighting it to prove a point or you could do what I would most likely do in this situation, and just knock this guy's teeth out one day.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Two things...

First - you failed to finish your story. Did you win?

Last night we played the so called best team and the league and as soon as we started getting in their end and doing an onslaught of shots on their goalie, our penalties started to appear. makes you wonder....

Second, go watch Southpark's "Stanley's Cup".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 November 2011 - 11:34 AM, said:

Two things...

First - you failed to finish your story. Did you win?

Last night we played the so called best team and the league and as soon as we started getting in their end and doing an onslaught of shots on their goalie, our penalties started to appear. makes you wonder....

Second, go watch Southpark's "Stanley's Cup".

NO hard to win a game where you are 4 against 5 most of the game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

To quote Topher84,

View PostTopher84, on 08 November 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Physical violence is your only option....

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Truly sad especially at 9 year old level.
But it does illustrate why I rarely have any kind of confrontation with someone without my iPhone being in my shirt pocket, lens outward, shooting video. 999/1000 times I can just delete the video later. But that 1 time in a thousand its good to have some CYA protection.

Sometimes this is just so I can have notes to refer to when the boss and I are having a discussion on a new project. I freely admit I will forget details a couple days after the meeting.

Sometimes it is because I'm walking into a customer's sales area where there is cash and I don't want to be accused if someone steals while I am there.

Sad to think we have to protect ourselves this way - but nice to have the tech available to do it so easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

i find it very difficult to find good refs when i play hockey. its kinda frustrating but for the most part it eventually gets evened out. but still is damn frustrating when they really suck and go on a power trip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

It's youth hockey. I don't wish to presume where you're from but if it's anything like youth hockey was when I was living in Canada, it's all a fucking racket. Canadians, on the whole, tend to be mild folk but that's only true until you get to hockey parents and youth hockey league officials. Then they're world class assholes up there with the worst that baseball dads have to offer.

I read that and was entirely unsurprised to hear that it sounds like the league was kinda "fixed".

In a similar vein, my daughter cheerleads for a 6th grade youth football team who had their second playoff game this past Saturday morning. They lost (and they truly did lose...they played awful) but during the game, we saw no less than 6 kids stay down on the field, all on the opposing team, with apparent injuries. At the time, some of our own football dads (and moms...gawd, the moms were worse) were yelling "he's faking" and I was all like "Jebus Christ you raving bitch...it's a kid...shut the fuck up".

Then as we're out to supper last evening we run into a mom for one of the players on our team and she related that her husband had been one of the guys moving the first down chains all season for home games and he distinctly overheard the opposing coach telling his players "you get so much as a bruise or a scratch, take a knee or stay down". Now considering that all season long we had maybe 2-3 kids stay down due to injury...and then get 6 in one game...I'm not so sure the asshole football parents weren't right. They're still asshole football parents...but even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Coaches, referees, and sports parents all belong to reside in a special ring of hell (preferably right next door to the lawyers and telemarketers) when their day comes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

You're a programmer. Get your stats working. If this ref is pulling this stuff, it'll come out when you chart his calls. You'll have to be good about presentation, so you don't come off like a petty whiner, but you can knock this ref on his back if you do the numbers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

Two threads where youth/college sports are the focus... grrr ugh.

Not exactly in line with the thread, but then again this is a 'rant' thread... so I'm going to allow Penn Jilette give one of the many rants I either have had, or agree with.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

And the refs don't have an organization they answer to? I thought most refs that are reffing games where a league is considered usually has some kind of organization that coaches or parents can file complaints with regarding bad refs.

If no such organization exists and the refs are just some "guy off the street who knows hockey rules" then you can either shush up or pull the team out on grounds of bad reffing.

Any respectable league should have refs that belong to a governing body that you can file complaints with. Refs are there to be impartial and make sure the game is fair... those who don't follow the rules should probably get called out.

Just my thoughts on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1