Which type of gamer are you?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

34 Replies - 1728 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Which type of gamer are you?

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

This was an interesting article I saw over on Kotaku. It has 27 different classifications of gamers that are described with a brief paragraph.

Link: 27 Types of Gamer Classifications

I know a lot of us here are gamers and I figured I would throw this out there to see what types you all are.

Me, I believe I fit in the classification of "The Competitor."

My description:

The Competitor: Touts a good game, and lives up to it, trash-talking all the way. Seeks competitors in every location they attend, but in a friendly manner. While they may be great at specific games in specific genres, they can be tripped up. They understand this, and don't retaliate once beaten, but will practice and rally at a later event thus proving their strong work ethic. They are very friendly outside of the competition, but behind the controller they are a different beast, often bringing the competition outside the game in a playful manner. These are the funnest gamers to watch, and they know they are in the spotlight in their specific moment, yet are modest for the most part. Trash talking is all in jest, and they will always shake the rival's hand saying, "good game."

Which type of classification do you think you fit under?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which type of gamer are you?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which type of gamer are you?

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Which classification applies to someone that goes out in the world and does actual real-world games/competitions?

If I'm going to shoot a sniper rifle its not going to be by pressing: circle, circle, square, ButtonA
Its going to involve actual gunfire, and watching targets react (blow up, fall down, flip over etc.)

Same with bowling or soccer or whatever.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

Well, before the financial troubles from almost two years ago I was:
The Collector:
May actually have more knowledge than the True Nerd gamer, but won't offer it up until prompted. Always willing to offer a suggestion of a great game, followed by the admission that the game is unattainable. They have seemed to have played everything on the original console, and amazingly have kept up with the hobby since its inception. They are the absolute best at spotting a deal, or calling someone on a horrible one. They always seem more mature than most gamers, but that may simply be because of the wisdom they bring to the table from all the gaming they have done. Their skill falls into the "jack of all trades master of none" category though, as they may collect more than they actually game. They have a hard time finishing anything, but a very easy time starting something. The deal they got on a game can often be more important than the game itself.

Now I feel more like:
The Leech:
This gamer loves the industry, loves the hobby, has several favorite games and can talk articulately about gaming, but owns nothing. This gamer is often the product of luck or circumstance, having several other gaming friends that foot the bill for the gaming hobby. Those friends are often indignant toward the fancy-free Leech, bitterly allowing him to participate in their expensive hobby to his or her utmost pleasure. If they really want to play something, they either manipulate others into attaining it for them or find a way to get it free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

I was The Loner... but now I'm the loser cuz someone hacked my precious Guild Wars account and I can't get into it anymore. :cry2:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

could you place the types in spoiler tags? i can't get to that site from school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

The Sloth:
Worse than the Rebounder, this lazybutt flippantly tries games at their leisure, often without any previous recommendation or research. They dabble in each generation listlessly, often picking titles of ill-repute. While this gamer may have high hopes for their purchase, they are often disappointed. They will play the off titles and then report to anyone with ears about the shortcomings of the game, but not in an overly negative sense. They are excited about the industry and where it is headed, but lack the motivation to follow the news with any zeal. They know what they like, and they avoid what they don't, including people. Their gamer stuff is often in deplorable condition, covered in dust and barely working, yet they do attribute value to it and would be sad if it bricked or broke.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Kind of a combo pack, and evolving through stages.

Started out as the "True Nerd" gamer as a kid. Very confrontational, very fanboi (SEGA), very obsessive.

Moved into being the "Collector" gamer when I was 12 or 13 because I had a job and could actually start buying my own games. I still loved all things SEGA, but quickly opened up my doors to all consoles and games. My knowledge in games grew even larger, and my obsession with disassembling a game to figure out how they worked on a technical, artistic, marketing, etc levels became my constant pass time.

I also took on a bit of the "Politician" as I started expanding my gaming boundaries. After deconstructing games as a hobby, I started becoming a little less biased about genres I may have previously despised (namely fighters and racers when I was younger, and FPS's as they became popular). I would say things like, "I don't necessarily like the game, but I definitely can see and explain why those who enjoy them, do so." When meeting new people that are also gamers I would often lie about how my I like a game, or played the game, to avoid confrontation with their opinion on the game... except online in forums, I would revert to the "True Nerd" very quickly in a video-game forum and rip people to shreds with stupid niche trivia, have only recently grown out of that.

And today you could definitely call me a "Retro Gamer", but not as a child as I was bleeding edge up until the Dreamcast. I still own modern consoles, and enjoy them regularly. But my love will forever remain with my classic SEGA consoles (SMS/Genny/SCD/GG/32X/Saturn/DC), and my collection will forever hold hundreds, if not thousands, of SEGA exclusive titles.

I don't like that the list left out 2 types of gamers that both my best friend and I are.

The Griefer - someone who plays multi-player games with the sole purpose of griefing/stealing the pleasure had by other players when playing the game. Not necessarily cheating, as a griefer does not desire a win... and actually takes pleasure in using legal/legite gameplay to perform a grief. Minecraft is a GOLD-MINE for this and probably was the introduction to griefing to a large group of gamers.

The Designer - someone who takes large pleasure in understanding a game and how it works. The tend to actually be game designers, developers, critics, etc... playing a game not for the intent of pleasure, but for the intent of study.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I recently posted a minecraft video where a griefing session on my server resulted in my friend and I designing a giant puzzle game at the bottom of the map.

So when Minecraft 1.8 came out I rerolled my server and started goofing off with some friends. One of my buddies invited some kids I didn't know and one felt like smart mouthing me, the sysadmin. So of course my best friend Adny and I started griefing on him a bit.

Well the griefing started getting overboard when we thought to dig a whole into the void and drop him in it, but when we got down there I started clearing out the area and we thought... wait, what if we build a small house down here, teleport him into it, and let him come out of the room and find himself with the only option of jumping in the void.

Wait, what if we make it a series of rooms so he thinks he has some ability to do something about it, then poof, there's the void.

Wait what if we put in some puzzles?

Wait what if...

Well before you know it the two of us are building a puzzle/gauntlet dealy at the bottom of the world. And hey, we thought, what if we put the world spawn point down here for ALL new players?

Well this was the result, a mini puzzle. Our first in Minecraft... and probably our last.

I haven't had a wall post like that in a long time!

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 09 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

It seems I am a casual gamer. When I play games, I have a quite short attention span. For example longest time I played one MMORPG was 1 month, also I could install a game, play it for 2 or less hours and then delete it. Or other example would be, that I would play some game and then wouldn't play for a week or so and lose the interest to play it( Deus Ex 1).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 November 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

Which classification applies to someone that goes out in the world and does actual real-world games/competitions?

If I'm going to shoot a sniper rifle its not going to be by pressing: circle, circle, square, ButtonA
Its going to involve actual gunfire, and watching targets react (blow up, fall down, flip over etc.)

'The Hipster'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

POPULAR

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 November 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm the kind of movie watcher who doesn't watch movies and instead would rather go out and rob a bank on my own time, or sink with the Titantic, go to Mars, or have exostential quandries about the evolution of life in the universe whilst orbiting Jupiter...

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 09 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'm like these

The Politician:
This gamer will play anything and even if they don't like it will have something good to say about it, or can understand why the game is popular. They are good friends with gamers and non-gamers alike, and don't have a problem meshing in either setting. They are well-versed in gamer news and happenings, often pointing out the latest event or hidden gem, yet can be surprised by a suggestion now and then. Politicians may even fake liking something or lie about even playing it to foster a relationship. The politician doesn't necessarily have to gain anything from a relationship, but prefers it.

The Clown:
This gamer will always be the first one to play the game outside of its parameters. Backwards on Mario Kart. Rocket Jumps in multiplayer. This exploit-seeker loves to mess with people, but hates the Cheater. He or she uses the game against itself for personal gain, often to rousing laughter from other gamers. Never scorned for messing around because of their jolly nature and life-of-the-party mentality, these gamers will always be the ones with the greatest one-liners and quips about our favorite hobby. Youtube is their best friend, not being able to wait to show off their latest crazy find in the latest title.

The Enabler:
Holder of game tournaments. Converter of non-gamers. Has a library of games to pull out at any moment for a nice challenge. They prefer to watch rather than play, but can hold their own when confronted. This gamer will help the distressed mother in Wal-Mart find the perfect title for their son or daughter. They will offer their well-informed opinion, even on games that they have never played, and are often precise in that suggestion. Happy to help with anything gaming or not, enablers are cheerleaders for the industry and have excellent points on why everyone should be a gamer, or remind gamers why they should try new things. They will lend out their own games if they trust the person receiving the game, but hold a lot of nostalgia in each title they suggest. Enablers allow Leaches to exist.

This one describes my ex perfectly. It's no wonder why he's my ex.

The Elitist:
Eternally boastful and often packing an impressive amount of mastered games, this jerk of a gamer will trounce you easily and love every minute of it. Far from modest, but for a reason. They spend a lot of time with specific games and will hunt down less-experienced gamers just for the win. They know all locations/tactics for the easy, cheap kills. If they lose at a game they will often call it worthless and not worth their time, only allowing themselves to sink time into games that are similar to the ones they are masters at. Often has few friends due to their arrogant nature, liken this gamer to the hunter who brings automatic weapons to the hunting range. Gamers without their skill level are laughable and easy prey.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

You have crappy taste in men... date a griefer, they're the best. Though not Adny, he thinks you're a whiner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Lol. I wasn't used to being OP then, so losing a stack of diamonds, or any item period at that point, was tragic. Can care less now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

I was "The Fapper"

Also:
The Retro Gamer:
While this gamer may own newer systems, their love for the hobby will always be focused on a legacy system. This gamer may have a complete library for the system they lament went out of production. They get crotchety when discussing new-gen stuff and will swear the industry peaked during their favorite system and all decisions made after that point spell certain doom for the hobby. Their biggest pleasure remains finding new stuff out about old games or hearing about a title they never played. They demand a nostalgic feel in most of their gaming experiences.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 09 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 November 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have to admit, it is quite thrilling to shoot at a person a mile away. Way fun to press the trigger of a MK19 40MM grenade launcher, lob off a few explosives then hear and see em blow crap up.. Words can't describe the feeling you get firing the .50cal - feeling the ground shake, Way more fun in real life :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +