5 Replies - 559 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

college advice

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

I'm looking for some advice, from people that may have more insight than myself.

I graduated high school last May, and I was/am a pretty good student. Due to lack of funds and motivation I decided that I would attend my local community college.

When I was signing up for school, I was faced with a dilemma. I could just go the general studies route and take cores for two years and then transfer, or I could take a CIS route and take programming classes along with some essential core classes. After a long four years of high school, I wanted the chance to study something that I was interested in and get in and out of school as quickly as possible. I chose the latter route.

Now I am enrolled and half way through the first semester. I'm having second thoughts. The idea of completing the degree and trying to get an entry level job are tempting, but I feel like I could do better. The classes aren't very challenging. I am easily completing all work with near perfect grades. I'm beginning to think that I would be better suited at a university computer science program.

I really just want to get a decent entry level job, but the more I hear, the more I think an AAS in CIS may be nearly worthless.

On the upside, some of my courses are transferable to a local state school. The cores and some of the general programming classes transfer easily. Some of the courses I am not really sure about ex: Introduction to OOP Programming.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I'm not sure what to do. Would my time be well spent completing the Associate's program, or should I cut my losses and try to go to my local University?

If there are any questions or clarifications I would be happy to explain further. Thanks for any help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: college advice

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: college advice

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

well, i lack insight as im still in high school but i think most people would agree that lack of motivation isn't going to get you anywhere. i think you should challenge yourself, whatever that means. if you feel that that means going (if you have sufficient funds) to a state school then absolutely go do it! I *think*(absolutely not qualification here) if you have a legit accreditation in computer science your job outlook is as good as if you would go to a state school. the important thing here is to try and make sure you give yourself the best opportunity(what ever that means to you) possible after school, if community college isn't going to do that then you need to up your game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

It sounds like you are tired of school all together. The fastest route for you if you want that 4 year degree is to find a school that allows you to complete it faster. There are a lot of online schools that can help you get done in as little as 3 years or even less. There is also the technical collegs you can attend where you do not take base courses, you just take the ones you need for your major. Keep exploring there are tons of ways you can do this---even the military is a possiblity.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

The military idea is a good one. Or at least ROTC. That way, by your Junior Year, you could have a job (at a military school). Military school is some of the most difficult, but it is rewarding, as you have a guaranteed job after you graduate...And it's free. I would check into perhaps getting senator nominations and transferring of that is what you want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

As a recent graduate myself, I recommend that if you want to get a B.S. degree in computer science, that you stay in your community college program and get your AAS in computer science. It will allow you to fulfill many of the basic requirements of the B.S. program, and as a result reduce the time you will spend before getting your B.S. This will be especially true if you want to continue to grad school later down the road. Make sure you look into the State College's comp sci program or even talk to an admission counselor to see what courses will transfer into a degree there.

If you are really bored in the classes you have taken so far I would just recommend that you look carefully into the electives and make sure you find ones that interest you.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I am going to take Spartan's advice. I'm glad that you guys seem to think an associate's degree(btw, it is regionally accredited) is at-least worth something... maybe what I have heard from others is false? Once again, thanks for all of the input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1