3 Replies - 1387 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2011 - 12:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Must install SQL server to run an Application?

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

I've successfully developed a software using VB.Net and SQL server 2005. i have this problem. when i create exe, it can use to my computer because of SQL server is already installed in my computer. but if i want to use that software in some other computer, must i install SQL server 2005 to that computer? Is there any option to run my software without installing SQL server to that computer?

Please Help Me....
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Must install SQL server to run an Application?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Must install SQL server to run an Application?

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

You don't have to install Sql Server on which computer that will run your application. that's why is called a server :) All you have to do is to make sure that your server is in the lan and it is visible(not behind a firewall or something like that and the TCP/IP port is not blocked - by default this port is 1433) and you should modify your connection string(which is in TestApp.exe.config file). Put the name of the server(if the server is not installed with the default instance name, you have to specify that name - e.g. Express version installs with Express instance name, so your data source from the connection string should be : DataSource=MyComputerName\Express) or the ip.
Fill the rest of the fields if something changes from your development environment.
Something changes = if the IntegratedSecurity is set to true that will not work on the new computer(it can work if the computers are in a domain and both computers logs with the same user), so you should write username and password for sql authentification
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm just a beginner of SQL server. Actually there is no any network between my computer and the other computer. In that case what should I do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

If your application won't be used in a network, but has to use a database, than consider using SqlServer Compact Edition. It creates a local database (type sdf) and everywhere you install your application will copy that file. This case you don't need a server. All you have to do is to change your connection string and your objects from Sql to SQlCe (SqlAdapter to SqlCeAdapter, etc - I suppose you used ADO.NET). Make a small research about Compact edition and see what is all about
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1