6 Replies - 1149 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2011 - 08:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Entry level C# position question

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

I interned over the summer with a company where I programmed in VB. I just got a call after months that an entry level C# position is being offered there and if I would be interested.

My issue is, I've never proggramed in C#.

The current languages I know(and I use that term loosely) are Java, C++, and VB.

Is C# easy to pick up knowing C++ and other languages?

I will of course be learning it on the fly, but just want a general idea of opinion on if an entry level position for it would be to difficult having never used it or not.

Also, any "general" idea of what an entry level programming position pays?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Entry level C# position question

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Entry level C# position question

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

If you have a decent understanding of Java, then you should be fine. The languages are very similar. C# is one of the easier languages to learn due to it's higher level nature. If you already know C++, you'll probably have a rather easy time learning C#.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

I was recently hired a a Junior C# Developer, which is a subject I only touched on in one module during the first year of my Networking degree.

I've been spending my time brushing up my knowledge and working on small parts projects, learning as I go. It took me a few weeks to feel comfortable, at first I was cramming everything.

From what you've said I think you are in a similar boat, except you have a better programming background than I do, so you should be able to pick up the new language quite fast. Definitely go for it, it sounds like the company are willing to invest in you and it'll be a good learning experience how ever it turns out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thank you very much. This helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostMideoan, on 11 November 2011 - 09:08 AM, said:

I interned over the summer with a company where I programmed in VB. I just got a call after months that an entry level C# position is being offered there and if I would be interested.

My issue is, I've never proggramed in C#.

The current languages I know(and I use that term loosely) are Java, C++, and VB.

Is C# easy to pick up knowing C++ and other languages?

I will of course be learning it on the fly, but just want a general idea of opinion on if an entry level position for it would be to difficult having never used it or not.

Also, any "general" idea of what an entry level programming position pays?

If you know Java and C++ then the syntax of C# will come very easily for you. And since you know VB you should have, at least, a basic understanding of how .NET works so you will be perfectly fine. I started a position working with C# with only Java and C/C++ experience and I found that it was very easy to pick up. It would have been even easier with VB experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

If you know Java and have experience with VB then it should be a breeze.

The worst part of learning a completely new language is often not the new syntax, but the framework behind the language. Assuming that you have experience with VB.Net, then you already know a bit about the .NET Framework and how to use it. You've completed the hardest part before you've even started.

As for pay, nobody can say. It will all depend on what you will be doing, how long for and how much of an asset they think you will be to the business (hopefully a big one in your case).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

I won't reiterate everything everyone else has said. As for pay, not a question that can be answered here. We don't even know what country you're from. And I know that in the US, wages vary greatly from state to state (because cost of living and demand/availability varies). And we don't know if the company sees you as someone they want, or someone they want to exploit (sounds harsh, but a lot of companies pay intro level programmers terribly with the justification that they're gaining experience they can use later for higher pay.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1