14 Replies - 2544 Views - Last Post: 18 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Don't feel like doing homework? Post it on a freelance site</s

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Below is a prime example of not only students in CS and IT industries but probably every industry today. I know we've seen examples of this on DIC but this kid actually admits it and pays someone to do it for him:

I am a student who does not feel like doing his homework. This is what my professor assigned:

The final character of a ten digit International Standard Book Number is a check digit computed so that multiplying each digit by its position in the number (counting from the right) and taking the sum of these products modulo 11 is 0. The furthest digit to the right (which is multiplied by 1) is the check digit, chosen to make the sum correct. It may need to have the value 10, which is represented as the letter X. For example, take the ISBN 0-201-53082-1. The sum of products is 0ื10 + 2ื9 + 0ื8 + 1ื7 + 5ื6 + 3ื5 + 0ื4 + 8ื3 + 2ื2 + 1ื1 = 99 0 modulo 11. So the ISBN is valid.
While this may seem more complicated than the first scheme, it can be validated very simply by adding all the products together then dividing by 11. The sum can be computed without any multiplications by initializing two variables, t and sum, to 0 and repeatedly performing t = t + digit; sum = sum + t; (which can be expressed in C as sum += t += digit;). If the final sum is a multiple of 11, then the ISBN is valid.
Ten-digit ISBN Numbers. ISBN numbers prior to 2007 use ten digits. Suppose, for example, an user enters the numbers 0-7637-2478-5. How can a computer application ensure that this is a valid ISBN number? The first step is to strip the “number” of all extraneous dashes, blanks, and similar characters. (Hint: Parse the original string by element, and then assemble a new string that contains ONLY numeric values using StringBuilder). For this example, the resulting number is 0763724785.
The second step is to ensure that the number contains exactly 10 digits.
The third step is to multiply each successive digit in the number by the weights of (“10”, “9”, “8” and so forth to…….”1”) and add the cross products terms.(Note: an ” X” in an ISBN number stands for “10” Hint: loop dude loop and remember strings are indexed in C# making it easier than Java! For this example the sum is 242 and 242 mod 11 =0 and hence it is valid
The final step is to examine the sum and verify that this number is evenly divisible by 11. If so, the ISBN is presumed to be valid. If not, the ISBN presumed invalid.
Build a C# class that will accept an input string and return the result. BE CAREFUL to make sure if the ISBN has an X in the stream then that stands for the number 10.

TEST VALUES: 0-13-152523-9
0-13-148660-8
Write a program to do this with a class and driver class or just code a driver class. What matters is the logic of the program. Assume the string has been inputted. You may use the IsDigit method from Char Class.

His first sentence just goes to show you how lazy people can be. So far the bid is for $50.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Don't feel like doing homework? Post it on a freelance site</s

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Don't feel like doing homework? Post it on a freelance site</s

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

Funny thing about it is, he is either going to say "That is too much money" and fail the assignment or he is going to pay through the nose... $50 for an assignment that pretty much walks you through everything is way too much money.

Either way, the guy is pretty screwed so we can sit back and smile. Perhaps chuckle a little. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

I'd probably need medical attention if they went with the bid, and it turn out to be their teacher. Proper Busted.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Some of the rent a coder type sites have a section specifically for homework.

If the student has no interest in doing something this trivial why is he in a CS class to begin with? If he doesn't want to bother doing the easy stuff he is going to be royally screwed when the hard assignments come around.

As Martyr2 already mentioned $50 is pretty steep to do an assignment like this, I'm guessing that will come down considerably , but hope it doesn't :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

I would have charged $150... time is money!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

I'd wish that whoever ended up writing this piece of code could somehow figure out a way to have it post "I'm a cheating asshole, please expel me or at least set me on fire" instead of whatever answer this turd is looking to hand in.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. For one thing, as has been said, someone who doesn't want to do their homework will fail out sooner or later, probably around the time they have to take an exam.
For another thing, whether you believe it or not, a teacher worth having will be able to figure out, quite easily, who is capable and who is not. If the student turns in work that's clearly not written by them, it's easy enough to catch them out on it - just ask them a few questions about it.

I do like the easter egg idea, though. Of course, the kid's going to run the program before turning it in, so it's better to write something into the code that says "not written by the student". This is an interesting problem in steganography: hiding a message in the source code so it will be obvious to the teacher but not to the student. Presumably the best message would be a gratuitous String which contains the link to the proposal on the freelance site.
No points for solving in perl, of course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think in most universities, the grading of program functionality is automated. We always had tools that would run our programs with various sample inputs and would tell us what was right and what was wrong, and I would assume they just run those tools for our grade. Easter eggs would just cause the student to fail the assignment. Your best bet would be to put the message in comments. The TA responsible for grading the comments will likely see it, while the student wouldn't bother to check.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

View PostJstall, on 14 November 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

If the student has no interest in doing something this trivial why is he in a CS class to begin with?

Probably a requirement of some degree. He needs to do a year on coding in order to become a network engineer or CAD draftsman.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 November 2011 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostJstall, on 14 November 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

If the student has no interest in doing something this trivial why is he in a CS class to begin with?

Probably a requirement of some degree. He needs to do a year on coding in order to become a network engineer or CAD draftsman.

I can vouch for this. I had a friend of a friend pay me for some of his C++ home work. He had the attitude of 'I would rather pay to have it done for me then pay to have to take the class again." He also stated many times that in his field he will never use C++, programming, & most likely even computers.

Heck, now that I think back, even in school I used to hand write my notes, then type them up at home & print them out for 75ข a copy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

This is true. Basic programming is sometimes taught on other degrees not related to IT or CS. But to actually pay for a homework? Wow. You lose money, you lose what you would have learned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

I wish I had the kind of money to waste on homework in college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

I will build your circuits for food. Circuits anybody? Circuits? Link me if you find any, I needs cash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

If you could find your mits on uber cheap fezIIpanda boards we might be able to consummate a deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have a breadboard...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -