1 Replies - 490 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Insight on choosing a career path?

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hey everybody,

I'm about to finish off an A.A.S. in information technology and I'm wondering where to go next.

I don't have much programming experience, but it definitely interests me. My biggest hang-up about choosing a programming major is the math. I'm terrible at math, and I get a lot of varied responses when I ask how much math is really involved in programming. I'm generally told the high-level math is restricted to game programming, and application development doesn't use that much. What is your opinion on math in programming?

My second choice would be network security. It seems like an interesting field with major growth potential, especially due to the advent of cloud computing and wireless networks. However, I've heard of a lot of dissatisfaction from network security professionals, and it seems like most of them are contracted but never hired. It would also be a larger departure from my major.

If anyone has some input on the state of either of these fields or with job satisfaction/pay/challenges please let me know. It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Insight on choosing a career path?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Insight on choosing a career path?

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

I think that Math in programming is essential. Perhaps not so much the concepts, but the ability to problem solve is a must have when programming.

Whether or not you use Math on a day to day basis will depend on what job you get. It is definitely not true that Math isn't involved in application development. I use it every single day at work.

For most jobs however I doubt you will be forced to use most Mathematical concepts, but it definitely will aid your chances of getting the job if you are good at it (again for problem solving reasons).

Your best bet would be to get programming. See if you really like it. Improve your problem solving skills along the way, perhaps get a little better at Math.

The bottom line is you never know what job you might get. What if every job available involved use of Math? I know I wouldn't want to be restricted in that way. You take whatever you can get.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1