5 Replies - 4004 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Write clear & good code and beat a dead line!

Post icon  Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

What do you think when you do programming and have a limited time resource? Does this lead to a crappy bad code? or may be practicing bad programming practices?
For my view is sometimes yes, less time to do a job may result to a bad programming practices or buggy code product. But if you are careful enough, you may produce nice code in a limited amount of time(mostly if you are experienced enough with coding)

Ok this link, gives some advices to follow to overcome deadlines dirty code. What do you think about the rules? Do you agree with them? is there any more?
Thanks....

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Write clear & good code and beat a dead line!

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Write clear & good code and beat a dead line!

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Makes sense, but to me I don't believe in extending the deadline just because I haven't done my job properly or I haven't finished it. One example is at school. We get a SIP (Student Improvement Program) letter sent home if we don't reach deadlines without a valid reason. A deadline is, for me, a source of motivation as I know that as soon as I'm done I can move onto things that are fun and that I actually want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

In the long run, you'll screw up big time if you don't write good code just because your deadline was near. I've had my fair share of times where I thought "wow I just screwed myself over with this design". Of course sometimes it's just not possible to write some good high-quality code in a short amount of time, and so some hack is needed. If it ever comes down to that I'd at least see if I could get an extension. If not, just make sure the hack is as neat and safe as possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

i would argue that this is where idioms, patterns, and compiler warnings come in. the idioms are time saving, efficient, and most importantly they avoid bugs. patterns are basically the same thing just they apply to paradigms rather than languages. compiler warnings can catch tons of bugs. have noticed that all the best libraries have zero warnings? there's a reason for that(actually several). fixing all the warnings as you go is definitely the best way as it helps reveal other issues lurking in the shadows that would otherwise slow down devolpment. knowing what idiom or pattern to use when can be tricky and even time consuming if you have to think about it. it takes experience and never stop learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

If you get a job and have a boss who wants his boss' job and your boss's boss is bonus eligible and your boss' boss' boss has stock options and a 401k with company stock and your boss' boss' boss' boss both owns stock and reports to the BOD, plan on deadlines that present you with two choices: forget about doing something the right way or work 90 hours a week. Eventually these won't be choices, you'll have to do both. If that doesn't happen plan on having to get another job. Work a few 90 hour weeks because you are all fired up and you produce perfect or near perfect work, expect that to be rewarded with greater demands and tighter deadlines and brutal criticisms of every imperfection.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Nice article. I agree that making a TODO list daily or just keeping in mind what needs to be done next should be a priority of a programmer. Before, I catch myself in a lull, not doing anything, just because I don't know where I left off, and where I'm headed.
Writing good code is always top priority, as it will help you more in the long run. I have trouble talking with the client though. I very much agree that communication between the client and the programmer should be done well or else there would be dire consequences, example of it is a development project not following the schedule because of some stuff that only the developers could foresee,

So, yeah:
1. TODO list
2. Good Client Communication
3. Good coding practices

Those three should always be with a programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1