5 Replies - 865 Views - Last Post: 18 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

So really goodbye to BIOS?

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Today I saw this page while surfing, and it talks about the UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, replacement of BIOS. Some quotes says:

If you're in the computer hardware business, you know that BIOS has been terribly outdated for decades. For example, a BIOS only has 1,024KB (kilobytes) of executable space. That, in turn means, a BIOS has trouble starting up the multiple peripheral interfaces (USB, eSATA, ThunderBolt, etc.) devices, ports, and controllers on a modern PC.

In 1998, Intel started work on the “Intel Boot Initiative” (IBI), later known as Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). While Apple, in its Intel-based Macs, and HP, with its Itanium 2 servers, used it, the other OEMs and, needless to say, Intel's rival chip vendors, weren't initially keen on adopting EFI. In 2007, Intel, along with AMD, AMI, Apple, Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, Microsoft, and Phoenix Technologies, finally agreed to use UEFI (the re-branded EFI) as the universal replacement for BIOS.

The first thing you'll notice about UEFI systems is that they boot faster and you can have even larger primary drives. The BIOS is unable to boot from hard disks with more than 2.2TB (terabytes). That's a hard limit set in the Master Boot Record (MBR) that you can't fix. In the BIOS MBR, the maximum space for a drive is determined by the formula: 2 to the 32nd times 512 bits

So what do you think about this new replacement?

This post has been edited by smohd: 14 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So really goodbye to BIOS?

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So really goodbye to BIOS?

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Well, it very well could be. People I know aren't keen on the BIOS system and rarely ever boot into it to change system settings, relying instead on OS utilities. People get put off by the old-looking, program code interface (really, someone I know said that) and would prefer something that could be easily managed and had a user-friendly GUI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

I see the UEFI as a fancy BIOS, but yes the UEFI is slowly replacing the BIOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

BIOS has been kept round because any changes in computing from the 286 to 386 & so on where such drastic changes in operation & address, that all previous software would not be compatible with the new system. As such we really are using 1980's technology to boot into Windows 7. The problem being that the old stuff can't simply be removed or skipped.

It's a necessary change, but it'll be like going from IPv4 to IPv6. Everyone must be on the same page when it happens.

I do have my worries that Microsoft could use this opportunity to really lock in their OS, & prevent people from booting into Linux or other operating systems.

Just google 'uefi prevent linux' & read away.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

I like the UEFI specification for the most part. However, I'm not too keen on the whole secure boot controversy in the slightest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

The only thing that concerns me is that an UEFI has network ability and thous, it is not a locked system. When I boot into BIOS I am in a locked system like a Sandbox. From BIOS I can start a format of the hard drive and then remove any malware.

I don't like the idea that Microsoft can in theory lock out Linux.

Thanks for the link OP! Very interesting reading!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1