What's the best engine to make a third person stealth game?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 5674 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2011 - 04:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What's the best engine to make a third person stealth game?

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostiZo, on 16 November 2011 - 09:11 PM, said:

I don't get it, haha. I called you good so I can't spot good? Wouldn't that make you bad then? But you don't take part in novice projects? >.>

You said

but you guys seem good though,

My point is that you should be able to tell with certainty if you intend to pay people for services. You do realize it is possible to end up paying someone and having a useless demo/game, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostButchDean, on 16 November 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

I don't get it, haha. I called you good so I can't spot good? Wouldn't that make you bad then? But you don't take part in novice projects? >.>

You said

My point is that you should be able to tell with certainty if you intend to pay people for services. You do realize it is possible to end up paying someone and having a useless demo/game, right?

Good point, but that's why I came to you guys. Because if you were to do it how would I even know if you were capable of pulling it off without seeing a demo? So until I see a demo or something I can't be certain how good you are to be honest, so you can only "seem" good to me til I know you are good. And it wouldn't be a novice project if you are good and I'm able to hire you..... So how much would you charge for a project like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

View PostiZo, on 16 November 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostButchDean, on 16 November 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

You said

Good point, but that's why I came to you guys. Because if you were to do it how would I even know if you were capable of pulling it off without seeing a demo? So until I see a demo or something I can't be certain how good you are to be honest, so you can only "seem" good to me til I know you are good. And it wouldn't be a novice project if you are good and I'm able to hire you..... So how much would you charge for a project like this?

You're completely missing my point.

1. I'm a professional game developer.
2. It's very hard work making games, and I am way too tired to even work on my own latest home project.
3. Because I am already pro you will not be able to afford me.
4. I wouldn't bother either way because you have no idea what the game is, muchless the tech required to make your title.

It would be a waste of my time, not yours, to work on your project. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Alright, well thanks for responding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

I would go with Unity3D or UDK. Depends on what your developers are more familiar with. If you can get a decent team of artists, you can get some developers, too. But of course you'll need atleast one person to spring some life into your project (which I guess would be your friend).

Get decent artists to pretty everything up and you'll get a team going.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Oh UDK is Unreal? Alright well he's familiar with that and I actually have tons of artist. My group has a lot of creative people, animators, artist, rappers, etc. Our only problem is we only have one programmer and I'm not sure if I can even use him for this but I'll look into those engines you suggested. Here's some of the art from some of my artist, most of it is old though:

http://i54.photobuck...eph/example.jpg

http://i54.photobuck...h/FrontBack.jpg

http://i54.photobuck...ph/DSC06750.jpg

This is how my programmer friend told me to draw the art for the game: http://i54.photobuck...eph/example.jpg

http://i54.photobuck...seph/iZo3-1.jpg

http://i54.photobuck...ade-d3h3gu8.jpg

Also the art we did for our video: http://a2nation.com

Developers are just the programmers who create the physics, gameplay, and the 3D model designs right? That's what we need more of, so if anyone knows how to program with UDK and they're interested let me know
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Although ButchDean's reality check was fair, I didn't found any reply with a direct guidance to what you must somewhat do to get started.

Being the programmer as I am, I currently hold no direct game development experience part from tutorials in several different engines, but however, I do know a thing or two.

I don't want to be rude, and reality checks are ButchDean's job, but the art provided by your artist was actually more worth than that your programmer friend showed, let's call him Bob.
It would seem Bob needs a reality check, that art provides no structure of how the model fits together, and just a skeleton is useless unless it's part of something un-human.

Also, your programmer does not make 3D model designs. Your artists create models from sketches/paintings/whatever they wish to provide.
Models are created in model-creation software, also known as 3D design software.
This is a program just like an engine, and can also cost you money!
Cheaper/free software: Blender
Expensive software: Autodesk; zBrush

These software provide export formats which might NOT be identical to your game engine for production!! Be very aware of this, this also narrows down both choices and this means you should think about this as well before you even start saying "I want Unreal because it's high-end" or what Bob has in mind. There are a lot more factors than just that, every Engine supports different things and they must fit with what you have in mind technically and functionally.
Seeing as he was in Vegas, he might have a buck or two, because Unreal does not come cheap, and imo. is a horrible indie engine since it's license is not so great. A better indie engine would indeed be Unity. If your engine supports physics is also something you should check, what language(s) does it support? Does it provide source-code? Do I even need source-code? What is source-code to start with and why would you use it?

I would suggest Bob replies in this post, seeing as he might have more programming experience, I am saying this because how you define 'stealth' works differently from how you might think.
"Stealth" is not a button in an engine that turns you invisible, the technical idea is somewhat like this:
Stealth is a boolean, if it's false (no-stealth) you have the normal detenction range from AIs (this is already quite a problem), having it on true decreases detection range and might apply other rules such as max speed variables that change, height variables that change and all that good stuff.
I would say you can implement in about any AI-involving game, as long as you know how to program it, so it is not your main issue. "Getting stealth done finishes that game" is not a true statement you want to fool yourself with.

You might wanna test out some engines, run demo's/tutorials on multiple engines like I did and get a hang of how it kinda fits together, if only it's just kinda is more than knowing nothing about your production workflow. Somebody has to take lead and know those things, will that be you or Bob?

I hope I didn't overcomplicate things and made a too long post, which I did..
Good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +