5 Replies - 945 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Partnered/Group Freelancing

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm a beginner programmer and I'm about to get my 2 year Associates degree in software developement. I have a good general understanding of programming and I'm eager to get experience. I've been reading a lot about freelancing and it seems like the best way to gain experience and get some decent money on the side.

I'll be honest, I'm scared to death to begin on my own. While I've done well in my classes and understand programming fairly well, my confidence level to reach out and acquire a project and complete it is very low. This is no longer a homework problem from my book that I am coding.

So, I was thinking about reaching out to some students who are in the same boat as me in one of my final classes and seeing if they would like to work together to start our programming careers via freelance work. It seems like having each other to feed off of would be great experience working together as a team, and to have a crutch to fall back on if you quite didn't understand how to code something.

Aside from sharing the profits, is there any other downfall to partnered/group freelancing?

This post has been edited by Mideoan: 16 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Partnered/Group Freelancing

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Partnered/Group Freelancing

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Well the general problems from any group.. what is someone drops out and leaves you hanging? amount of work vs pay? Who will be the point of contact for the customer? Who gets to add their name for the credit? Conflicting egos and points of view?

.. etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

The real issue is: Can you trust the other person to be honest and forthcoming? You may have known the person for your entire life, but when money becomes a factor a lot of things can change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

View PostMideoan, on 16 November 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

So, I was thinking about reaching out to some students who are in the same boat as me

Somehow you believe that multiple, scared, inexperienced programmers can turn out a functional program?

If you have someone that doesn't know how to swim, & they find themselves drowning, will someone else (or multiple others) that don't know how to swim be able to safe them by jumping in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

"He also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?" - Luke 6:39

Rather relevant. That's normally why companies have a senior watching newer groups.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I wouldn't suggest working together as such but there is no reason why one freelance (eg your friend) cannot work freelance for another (eg. you) when needed. It is hard enough to get into, but much harder when you need to figure out who is going to be responsible for money and other tasks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1