How do you organize your tunes

• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 1014 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

Poll: How do your organize your tunes (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How does your MP3-player-of-choice get organized

1. Entire Collections/Albums with playlists (12 votes [48.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Just the songs I like (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Everything (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

4. mp3 players suck I still rock the walkman (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

How do you organize your tunes

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

One of the constants I struggle with is organizing my massively enormous penis music collection on my iPod. I spend more time deleting and re-adding music to my library than anything else.

For those that listen to MP3 players, how do you go about organizing your music.

I keep going back and forth from collections to stuff I like because in my car I like to use shuffle and I always get stuck with the shittiest selection of songs.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you organize your tunes

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you organize your tunes

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

By their respective artist and album as well as the correct track number.

I have OCD when it comes to organizing my playlist in iTunes.

-Edited a typo.

This post has been edited by Mikhail: 17 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

How big is your device? I have a pretty decent system of folders setup with my 30gb zune.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I have an 80gb ipod so I can easily put collections on there. The most I ever had on there at once was 33gb. My HD has over 150GB and I still have over 500 CD's I have yet to digitize. Some of it is crap I don't really listen to though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Everything I have goes into my main library, then split into specific playlists. Normally I separate by type of mood, then have one super playlist with only the best of my music.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Are you shitting me on the 500 cds? I mean this isn't part of some Dane Cook joke on exaggerations?

I digitized CDs I have that are so old they are physically rusting/deteriorating (Nine Inch Nails I am looking at you), and stuff I have an urge for (Urge Overkill look'n at you). I am rarely swapping out things except maybe to dump something new on, or delete all my Sinatra. Eventually I'll pickup a few of the last 64gb Zune HDs and use those until I die. I would prioritize crap you listen to versus the hundredth DMB cd or another brown wrapper live Pearl Jam CD that you already have a song from that tour being covered on that continent.

Folder structure wise I have a series of olders that break down the alphabet into groups of six or so.. .and from there have folders by appropriate band name or arist last name. Inside there it's folders with CD names... and inside that are the mp3s with the track and song title. The MP3 tags have all the relevant information. THe Zune software chills adn works well with me on this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

I shuffle my music, all artists. Nothing on my MP3 player I don't like to listen to, so everything that comes up is great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

@Modi - I shit you not. I got spindle upon spindle of music sitting in a box. I have a 500GB external hard drive basically half full from music on top of it.

I have big ass collections like the entire Billy Joel Discography, Jethro Tull Discography, Fleetwood Mac, Metallica, Shit ton of live Cd's I really don't listen too, R.E.M., Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Beatles, John Lennon the list just goes on and on. I have the billboard top 100 hits from the 50's till 2003, I have a shit ton of Underground Rap/Hip Hop music I don't really listen to from my DJ days. I have Country music??? WTF I don't even really listen to country but I have some. I have House, Techno, Trance, HardCore Trance, NerdCore, Death Metal. The 80's who can forget the 80's

Shit I might actually still have more than 500 unripped cd's. I got 3 books mostly singles filled as well.

Of course that is why I only have about 30 - 50 gigs of actual artists that are even worth listening too in my opinion.

@Creecher - I tried that approach, actually it is like that now - going back to collections/albums because half the time on shuffle it plays music I am either not in the mood for or something not appropriate for the moment. Once in a while I don't mind waking up to Skrillex or Disturbed being played at obnoxiously high volumes, but there is nothing worse than following it up with Britney Spears or John Lennon

This post has been edited by Nykc: 17 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Damn sir I am impressed. Is that cases and all? That is an impressive piece of realestate if you still have the jewel cases.. Isn't the depth on a case something like 0.40"? Times that by 500 you get.. about 200" of space or 16 and two thirds feet of just height! High five to a man that could have done better with the minidiscs!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Entire collections.

I only listen to albums, not tracks. If the album the song is from is not itself a well formed collection of tracks I enjoy, I won't listen to the song. 3 minutes of audio sucks, and jumping between different 'stories' drives me mad.

Yes I consider each song a story in an over arcing epic which is the album.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

No I have them in spindles and books for portability. This was before computers were used to store music on. I used to have the spindles and books sorted as well by Genre. That way if I knew I would be playing mostly dance music I could grab techno, house and hip-hop stuff etc. and leave the country and skynard at home.

Plus the one company I worked for would get a lot of mixed cd's that were organized a certain way because it was a type of name that tune type gameshow and the tracks were somewhat organized by year and genre.

Either way this is number 4 attempt in 2 years of coming up with a amicable solution to getting the music I want to listen to on my Ipod.

If the artists would quit releasing shit cd's with only 3 good songs on it I would feel better about putting the entire CD on my ipod. But then I forget about songs as well so I might miss out on a gem or two.

I like most of Billy Joel's music so I have the entire discog on my ipod. same with Disturbed, however I do not like every song by Slipknot so I only have a couple songs on there. I have the entire Explosions in the Sky discog on my ipod but only listen to a few tracks and don't pay attention to what they are because I am busy cranking out code.

Edit
Oh and then comes my OCD and sorting... Take Kid Rock for example since he is constantly pissing my OCD off. Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast is Rap and The Polyfuse Method is Alternative Rap & Rock (Similar to Beastie Boys) where as Cocky could be considered Country & Rock, his newer stuff is more like Southern Rock and every year he decides he wants to be a different Genre.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 17 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

View PostCreecher, on 17 November 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

I shuffle my music, all artists. Nothing on my MP3 player I don't like to listen to, so everything that comes up is great.

This... almost.

I have two collections: one for classical music and one for everything else... because I have to be in the right mood to listen to classical. Regardless of which collection I'm listening to, I only add the stuff I like, then I shuffle it.

If a song is crap and I'm not going to listen to it anyway, why waste the space?

[edit]

View Postlordofduct, on 17 November 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Entire collections.

I only listen to albums, not tracks. If the album the song is from is not itself a well formed collection of tracks I enjoy, I won't listen to the song. 3 minutes of audio sucks, and jumping between different 'stories' drives me mad.

Yes I consider each song a story in an over arcing epic which is the album.

This is one of the gayest things I've ever heard.
[/edit]

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 17 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

You are right why waste the space, but what if you are on the fence about a song or two. Sometimes listening to whole albums you discover some hidden gems. Sometimes a song just sucks. I don't really need the entire Corey Hart album because I like the song "Sunglasses at Night" - same goes with a lot of the 80's music which is my favorite Genre but there were so many one hit wonders my entire ipod would be filled with shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

I didn't say I don't listen to other songs from albums. Most places that sell mp3s will let you listen to - at the very least - bits and pieces of other songs from the album. And if I'm on the fence about a song, there's a very good chance I'll get sick of it after I hear it a couple times and take it off anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

I am also a big fan on "a cd is part of a story and shouldn't be separated", but I do break that. Bands I care about I'll have the whole CD, but there are the one hit wonders who win me over enough to go back and dump the whole cd on. Tonic - Lemon Parade was one. Same with Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo. Both had a song or two with my collection, but in the recent months I went back and pushed the rest of the album. So yes, if you don't believe Mr Mister has anything to offer you outside of 'kyrie' then drop the rest of the CD... Now Bob Dylan, the Cure, and Tears for Fears all seem, to me, to warrant the whole cd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +