1 Replies - 2152 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem Linking AccessDB To Visual Studio 2010

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:51 AM

This is my first semester using MS Access. I am in a database class that uses it and we have touched on it some in my programming class. However, both times we have touched on it the database was already in the App_Data folder. I am trying to link the AccessDB to visual studio but I have been running into some problems. I have an account with GoDaddy that I am trying to link with visual studio as well. I can get the godaddy SQL server to link with the DB if I create it with VS. If I try the same thing with an AccessDB I keep getting error messages. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? I do not need to use Access or my godaddy account for the assignment but I plan on running the site live and I enjoy Access.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem Linking AccessDB To Visual Studio 2010

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Problem Linking AccessDB To Visual Studio 2010

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Linking to an Access database in Visual studio can be like any other database. You establish a connection string, create a connection and open it. In this string you would specify the location of the database, username/password etc. With Access you would specify the filename.

When you deploy the visual studio project to go daddy, your connection string would have the physical path to the access database file. Access is a file based database and really I advise against using it for web projects myself since it really wasn't meant to handle a heck of a lot of users.

Check out http://www.connectionstrings.com and there you can find examples of connection strings to access. If you can't figure it out still, show us the errors you are getting and show us code of how you are attempting to connect to it.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 26 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1