5 Replies - 1085 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Essential tools for a Distributed development team

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I want to setup a website where a team of developers (distributed all over the world) can get together and develop Software.

So far (after a ton of reading) im coming close to the conclusion that the tools I will need are: a Version control system (git , mercurial), a bugtracker and and project manager?

Now my questions are:
- Am I correct and what other tools will I need?
- Will is be possible to integrate these tools with my website? by this I mean the look ( my website logo) and feel (not having to bounce around from one link to another)?
- I would also prefer hosting my own git/mercurial repo as i dont want to have to go open source is is this advised? -Free/open source applications would be best

Also another question, I had a look at redmine, does this cover all the things that i would need? as i see it has a lot of features..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Essential tools for a Distributed development team

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Essential tools for a Distributed development team

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Yes.. a repository for people to get code to their local machine, a global location to view and fix current bugs or software action items, and some way of tracking progress.

Integrate in what way? I guess you could in theory reskin a few of them, but to what end?

Nothing says that having a github source control means you are open source. there are private repositories you can set up.

Regarding redmine - it's free! Why not download it and play with it? that's the best way for you to know if it meets your needs!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Ok cool thanks i will but i just want to know if it does cover all this , like is it all i will need? and if not which would you recommend?

This post has been edited by iScotts: 18 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Another thing, I have never setup a git repo, so if i get redmine and implement it to my site will that mean I am now hosting my own git repo and i can start working?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Oh another thing, i realize redmine is developed with Ruby. Im not to good with ruby as im a PHP developer so is it possible to somehow mix redmine on a PHP website?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

You posted a lot of questions, I'll give awnsears one by one...

1. GitHub has hosting plans with private repos, just they aren't free (the ones with the public repos are free)
2. Set Up Git If you never used git go through this tutorial to set it up
3. I have never used RedMine but from what I can see you can go to a redmine demo site HERE and see it's features.
4. From what I see yes then you are hosting your own git repo... (When implementing redmine)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1