12 Replies - 3547 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Netbook Selection

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hi All,

im trying to buy a netbook for school because of its portability. I am mainly going to use it in letures for note taking, power points, surfing, and java/c# programming.

Its a debate between Acer Aspire ONE D255E-13808($190CAD) Vs. Acer Aspire One 721-3858($250CAD). Both netbooks are used and in really good shape. Im really leaning towards the 721 because of the HDMI compatibility but D255E is pretty much the same specs minus HDMI.

If you have better preforming netbooks in mind let me know. My budget is 100 - 275CAD.

I wanted to get an outside point of view before I made the purchase.

Also, Any thoughts on the Acer AO522-BZ499?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Netbook Selection

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: Netbook Selection

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Why are you leaning towards the 721 because of the HDMI support? I don't understand why anyone would need a HDMI port for a netbook. I kind of defeats the whole purpose if you ask me.

Also can you post the specs of each model you are looking at? It saves us time trying to research every model.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Yeah i get what your trying to say. I was just thinking that if im going to buy something might ass well get most for the buck.All these netbooks are used.

Acer Aspire ONE D255E-13808 $190 (with 3 year warranty with Staples..)

Acer Aspire One 721-3858 250$

Acer AO522-BZ499 No price yet..(what is a good price?)

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Well I would immediately disregard the last one. Comes with Windows 7 Starter edition and 1 GHZ processor. You can get much better for the price.

I like the look of the 721. 500 GB hard drive. 4 gigs of RAM. 1.7 GHZ. I'm quite surprised that is actually a netbook and not a notebook.

Plus the first one has Windows 7 Starter has well. I doubt there's anything wrong with it, but personally I would want at least Home Premium. Even for a netbook.

I would lean more towards the second one, but the first is also fine. As you said you were getting them second hand, it will depend on what price you can get.

Just don't get the third one. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

well the OS is not a big deal because im planning on putting win7 professional on them once I purchase it.

I managed to talk the second one down to 250 from 300. do you think that's a good bargain? or should I just stick with the first since it has warranty?

in terms of specs 722 is more appealing but condition and price of the D255E is a strong factor lol hmmmm... Decisions. :dots:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Price isn't everything. You have to think about which one will serve you the best, will last the longest etc. With only 1 gig of RAM the first one is not likely to last that long at all.

Yeah its a good bargain. Its 50 cheaper than it was. Of course its good, it looks to me more like a laptop than a netbook.

If you don't want to spend 150 on a better spec, then don't, get the D225E. At the end of the day its your decision. Only you know what you actually want the system to be able to do. Personally I would feel uncomfortable spending 190 on a netbook with that spec when for 50 more I could get a decent system.

Its your choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

yeah true. Thanks for your help :) much appreciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Ok so I'm not going to get the 721 anymore because The guy is being really sketchy about the info. Is it true that a customer can take advantage of the manufactures warranty based on the serial number of the laptop with out a receipt as proof of purchase?

Also any thoughts on one below?

Acer N455 215$
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

I am not sure of your first question.

However the new choice is very very similar to that of the D255E you posted before. With such similar specs it will depend on what price you can get. In this case the cheapest one will do as they are practically the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

yeah the guy was saying that he didn't have the receipt but I still have manufactures warranty for one year. Apparently he bought it in April 2011.

When I asked for it he was not willing to provide me with it. Thats why I wanted to know if I can still get the warranty without a receipt...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's a bit of an uncertain area. When I have bought a TV before with a manufacturers warranty, it went wrong and I had to take the original receipt back to the store to get it fixed. However perhaps for other companies you might not have to have a receipt.

It will really depend on the company. However I would be very weary. Most companies will expect an original receipt as otherwise what would stop someone from stealing the device and then claiming the warranty. I bet 9 times out of 10 you will need ta receipt. It really makes sense for a company to require one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Yeah I thought the same thing. Thanks for your help man.

also How do I know if the Ram is upgrade-able on the Acer Aspire ONE D255E ? Im going to put a 2GB ram in it after upgrading to win 7 pro 64 bit...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

You will have to find out whether or not it has another free RAM slot.

However you could perhaps just replace the current one with 2GB if you wanted.

Best to double check first though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1