3 Replies - 925 Views - Last Post: 23 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Project Related Help.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hello there,
I am a Computer Science 3rd year undergraduate. I am presently working on C# (on my own). I need to develop or work on certain projects so that I can include them on my resume and also I would grasp a good understanding of the language(here C#).
Frankly speaking I have to work on projects since next year I have to opt for Off-Campus placements wherein Companies require Projects.

So does anyone has any idea of a mini-project which I could do on my own, my sole guide being internet
If so please do let me know.

regards,
Pulkit

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Project Related Help.

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project Related Help.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

Do you mean other than the "Share your project" second right here on DIC?
http://www.dreaminco...e-your-project/

I have a little C# experience but I need to write ...

You need to start there. I can't say "I have little experience in speaking Russian, but I have been assigned to write a mystery novel in Russian. Can you help me?"

We can help you by saying "First learn basic programming and the language of C#. Then take on assignments." Could someone here write this program for you? Sure. Could someone here map out all the processes you need to follow and do the Software Design part of this in the slim hope you could code it from there? Sure. But we don't volunteer to do the job that you're either getting paid for, or getting a grade for. You may want to read this.

For now, just work on the lessons. Do a self-teaching book from cover to cover. Then consider writing a program.

Don't try to create a useful working program to fit a need of yours (or a for-pay contract) as your introduction to coding project. When you are learning to code you don't know enough to code a program, let alone know how to engineer the architecture of a program. It would be like saying "I don't know how to read sheet music, or play an instrument. I think I'll write a 3 act opera as my first learning experience."

I don't say this to be mean. We've seen lots of new coders take this approach and we know it doesn't work. Trying to design your own programs before you understand the basics of the code language you've chosen just leads to problems, frustrations, and 'swiss-cheese' education (lots of holes).

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Oct 2011
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 20 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

Thnx for the post. I found a list of Project ideas in the link provided by u.
By the way I know programming in C#. I just needed an idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

If you don't have any experience writing actual applications, and you obviously don't given this thread, then you do *not*, under any circumstances "know programming in C#" or any other language. You can't just read a book and know a language. If you did, you wouldn't need to actively search for a project -- you'd see solutions to problems and implement them automatically.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1