3 Replies - 2361 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Final year project shop security system

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

At the end of this Uni year (year 2) I'm planning to start my final year project, I'm thinking of writing an application that displays the shops security cameras and possibly controls the lighting etc. I also hope to have a night camera with motion detection that alerts the owner when it has been triggered (by text message maybe) and allows them to view the live stream.

I was wondering can you have a database that stores the archived videos by referencing them from the host server in the shop?

I'm assuming the camera feeds can be streamed via a secure web server allowing the host application to access them?

Finally has anyone had experience hooking lighting up to a system so you can turn them off/on?

Many thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Final year project shop security system

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Final year project shop security system

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

View Postinsanepenguin, on 21 November 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

I was wondering can you have a database that stores the archived videos by referencing them from the host server in the shop?

Yes.

I'm assuming the camera feeds can be streamed via a secure web server allowing the host application to access them?

Depends on the types of cameras. Analog cameras would have to be digitized first. So it would be smart to use digital cameras to start with.

Finally has anyone had experience hooking lighting up to a system so you can turn them off/on?

Yes. There are many remote systems for devices. The X10 home automation system is probably one of the larger ones.
http://www.x10.com/p...tomation_n.html
But even Home Depot has home automation gear.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 06 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

Thanks tlhIn`toq,

I think their cameras are digital DVR and the owner can log in remotely so I'm guessing I can access the web stream with Visual Studio/C#?

I'd like to integrate everything I can from the shop (it's a jewellers/pawn broker) into one application, so modelling/improving all their current DB and functions from scratch in C# and maybe Oracle (they currently use MS Access), part of the application to view all their security cameras and maybe control the lights and possibly a biometric thumb scanner for employees to clock in and out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

I think their cameras are digital DVR and the owner can log in remotely so I'm guessing I can access the web stream with Visual Studio/C#?

That really doesn't say anything about what the cameras are. It says there is a DVR and the user can log in. The cameras could still be analog with the DVR doing the A to D conversion.

What are the capabilities at that point? Maybe the user can only manipulate the DVR to play back a given camera from a given time for example.

There is still nothing here that says whether or not the cameras are actually digital or producing any kind of stream along the lines of what you are working on.

You're basically trying to re-create what entire security companies do for a living. I think it is a great project. Its not small, but certainly doable with today's off the shelf technology. You seem to have a grasp on what you need out of the equipment. In that respect I can honestly say this is the only project I've heard a student propose here in the last year that I think is worth doing, and can actually be done by the person attempting it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks, will be working on this in the summer, may use / hire my own cameras
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1