9 Replies - 12935 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

wifi devices and programming

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

I am trying to make a small program that just finds all the wireless access points. I am wondering if anyone has any experience doing this and would like to point me in the right direction. I have seen the native wifi api from microsoft, but I don't know c++ too well, and probably would be more comfortable with java, or python, and the sample that they include with the SDK that includes the API didn't help me too much.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: wifi devices and programming

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: wifi devices and programming

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

Ok, I have never tried to do what your talking about. (But now that you mentioned it I'm going to have to browse this link myself... Thanks for asking such a good question! :^: ) As you may have heard one of the best tools for what you're doing is Kismet. Which is primary a Linux tool. Linux is open source so no surprise Kismet is too! You can download the source code for it from this page. You can also google and find source code for AirCrack and other Open Source wireless tools. Hopefully that should shed some light on what your doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

Well the thing is, there are a ton of free, open source stuff for linux, but i can't really find anything for windows. All I have found is the windows native wifi api. But if you can find anything that would be great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Kismet has a Windoze version too...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:23 AM

This seems like a very ambitious project for somebody who does not know C++ to well. The software that is already available that does this is built by teams of experience softare developers. Maybe a good place to start would be to participate in one of the Open Source Wireless projects that offer this functionality.
For Windoze, closed source drivers usualy have this functionalty built in. I think XP and 2K and up have this built in, while 9x and Me require the driver manufacturer to provide it. Also, great care has been built into Microsoft products to extract the maxmimum amount of dollars from companies and people who write and make drivers available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

Currently I am trying to learn c++, not just for this little project I want to do , but just in general seems like a good language to learn. So maybe an open source project would be the best way to go with this.
And I'll have to look into Kismet, and see how they have implemented. Is the source for that project open?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:21 AM

Actually, after examining the windows native wifi api, it doesn't seem like it should be too hard.
If you have looked at it:
You should start by getting your NIC open handle using the WlanOpenHandle function, this seems to set up the communication with your local card. Then you can use the information (or the Handle) to use the other functions. For me two of the functions really seem like they would work WlanScan, and WlanGetAvailableNetworkList, and also the struct WLAN_AVAILABLE_NETWORK which stores all of the information for an access point, and the struct WLAN_AVAILABLE_NETWORK_LIST, which I believe stores each access point, with an array to access WLAN_AVAILABLE_NETWORK.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_MarcLee*

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

Here is a great tool with sources for wifi connections management:
http://www.nicomsoft.com/wifiman/

---
Marc Lee
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Thank you MarcLee. For all you Windows guys out there, this looks like a great way to go, for the low price of $199.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Yeah I saw that when I was started looking for wifi api's but it seems like an easy solution to something that could be fun and challenging (and not cost a thing, except maybe some time).
I am still figuring out the native wifi api that microsoft has, I also found another website with another sample application to go by: http://code.mincus.c...s-wireless-api/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1