6 Replies - 1652 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice needed on web hosting

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

I am currently using GoDaddy for my hosting but I am not satisfied with their services and limitations. Any advice on who else I should look into and why? Any advice would be great. Thanks. T.Rose
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice needed on web hosting

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice needed on web hosting

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Try explaining what problems are you having with them so the compare/contrasting would be more effective.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Depends on what your needs are, client base, size of the site, etc.

In some cases I'd say make your own server on a business plan with your ISP to get a static IP address and set up a DNS record to port a domain name to it. This one assumes you have a pretty solid knowledge of IIS, Apache, or Node and a lot of SysAdmin knowledge.

In other cases you have a large op not under a business name that needs more power, then you need to look into a VPS to take care of it.

The most dangerous is if you have a small site and want more power but don't know what it is or how to get it. In this case I would suggest stepping back, evaluating what you actually need (price vs reliability and such) and decide either to hire a professional or undertake a massive learning experience to define what you need.

The last one (from personal experience) is extremely painful, normally a tip of the tongue experience that you've tasted some power and want more, but have no idea where to get it. Not that I'd discourage learning it, it's just that I would heavily advise to weigh out your opportunity costs in matters such as this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

My programming skills are not that advanced with IIS, Apache, etc. To keep it short, I am designing my fraternities website and none of the previous code or layout is made available to me. The alumni that asked me to do the website does not like GoDaddy, which I currently use and asked me if I could possibly find another hosting service. GoDaddy is the only service I have used and I have had some minor issues with them in the past with files being deleted and the email working only half the time until recently it has gone smoothly after a few emails and calls. Other than those minor issues I have not had much of a problem with GoDaddy. Since I am not an advanced programmer I would like to find something easy to navigate, maintain, and the alumni that asked to not worry about some of the bad reviews he has heard about GoDaddy. I use Microsoft Access and Visual Studio for any work I do. The website will not have a large amount of users. I believe it to be around 100 brothers, 100 alumni, and a random amount of guests looking into our fraternity. Pictures, Videos, Blogs, and Basic Info of us will be most of the website with user restrictions to certain webforms. Email will be needed for the brother's executive commitee and for the alumni commitee. I would guess the most needed email accounts to be 40-50 max. Hope this helps, if not let me know and I will email him and ask him to be more specific. Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Most places have an 'unlimited' email account service.. Example http://www.asmallorange.com/ ... cheap... good up time.. unlimited email.

The trick will be providing everyone with access to their email.

Webpage wise I would suggest looking into something quick and straight forward - like a CMS! Wordpress will probably be the easiest followed up by Drupal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

In that case, I'd recommend just finding a more reliable host. I've yet to have any issues with HostMonster, they're fairly cheap, and have everything you'd need.

From there I would consider looking into wordpress and use some extensions for a video/pic library. It's far and evolved from its early days with just blogging software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

hi i am here to share my hosting ideas i searched in net for best hosting sites and
finally i hosted several of my own sites in tucktail.com .here they provide 3 hosting plan you can choose the one among them based on your needs.They have good customer support , low prices,they provide me required amount of space and bandwidth. i felt happy with the service provided by them .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1